In November 2012 Flexiscale team scanned Winifred, a Penrhyn slate quarry locomotive built in 1885 by Hunslet and 3D printed an engineering model of Winifred."The quality of the model is exceptional and will be of great use in the reassembly of Winifred during restoration."
They didn't stop there. For those who want something special, Flexiscale team has started a new project to produce kits of four steam locomotives.
The Ffestiniog Railway is the oldest independent railway in the world and the engines we're going to scan and make into kits are the oldest narrow gauge engines in the world: they're 150 years old this year. Considering their age it is remarkable that four out of the six engines are still in existence and that two of them are still in working order, regularly pulling trains on the railway they were designed for.
The four locomotives, Prince, Princess, Palmerston and Welsh Pony are scheuduled to be laser scanned in February. The raw point cloud data will be made available as Open Data when the process is finished. The team will then design the kit in Rhino during March and early April and test print on a Makerbot Replicator 2 3D printer. The initial prototype kits will be shared over the next few weeks. And then the 3D files can be sended off for printing by Shapeways, Sculpteo or iMaterialise in fine detail resin.
(Images credit: Flexiscale)
If you love these engines and would like to support the project, you can check it out here on Kickstarter. Pledge £50 you can receive a 3D printed TT body kit for one of the four engines (your choice) and its tender. When the team exceeds their initial target they'll do a bigger round of kits in May and also work on the chassis design and control systems for delivery in June. That means somewhen in summer backers could have an England engine model running in their garden!
Find more pictures of their work and follow the project on Flexiscale's blog.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- 3D printed Batman, Superman, Transformer bottle opener rings
- Award-winning project: Low-cost, 3D printable prosthetic hand (video)
- Homemade 3D printed Mario
- Thinking like Archimedes with a 3D printer
- Egyptian Mummy's Elaborate Hairstyle Revealed with CT scanning and 3D printing
- Pez Hacking: customised Pez sweet dispensers with 3D-printed heads
- 3D printed Game of Thrones inspired iPhone/Android Dock
- Open-source 3D printed RoboHand changes one little boy's life
- Olaf Diegel launched a new 3D printed electric guitar Americana
- Build your own fantastical characters with 3D printed modular action figures ModiBot