Cosmo Wenman spent a lot of time last year 3D scanning artwork in museums and using those scans to 3D print life-size reproductions. And he has also been sharing his 3D printable files online so that anyone can 3D print their own copies too.
"It's been a labor of love for me. I've been doing it for myself, for other art lovers, and for students and educators—for anyone who's dreamed of owning fine sculptural art, but hasn't had the means until now." says Wenman.
Wenman believes all 3D printable designs of the entire world's cultural heritage of sculptural masterworks will eventually be available to everyone, and he wanted to start a project that helps it to happen sooner. He has found a museum, the Skulpturhalle Basel museum in Switzerland that gives him permission to 3D scan sculptures of his choosing, and to share the 3D designs without any restrictions. For this opportunity to bring great art into people's lives, Wenman launched Kickstarter project hoping to raise funds for this project.
The Skulpturhalle Basel museum has an incredible collection of more than 2,000 high quality 19th and 20th century plaster casts of important ancient Greek and Roman sculptures. Wenman plan to scan at least 20 of these.
"I will 3D scan a selection of plaster casts of important, archetypal sculptures at the Skulpturhalle and publish the scans and 3D printable files into the public domain, copyright-free, so that anyone, anywhere, can download, alter, adapt, or 3D print them for themselves." writes Wenman.
The funding will support Wenman's trip and weeks of photography in Switzerland, as well as months of post-processing, 3D print-proofing, experimentation, and 3D model repair and optimization.
The 3D printable files will then be shared online at Thingiverse.com so anyone can print their own. For supporting this project, check out more information here on Kickstarter.
Wenman's project in 2012: Through A Scanner, Getty:
Posted in 3D Scanning
Maybe you also like:
- Valentine's 3D printing kissing booth
- Italian designers launched MYBF new collection of 3D printed jewelry
- Glenn Beck talks with Hod Lipson, author of "Fabricated The New World of 3D printing"
- Give yourself a treat, totally 3D printed candy dispenser
- How to make a DARwIn-OP robot clone on a DIY 3D printer
- 3D printed kits of world's oldest working narrow gauge engines on Kickstarter
- Microscale printing of a spaceship on world's fastest 3D printer
- 15-year-old student building an open source LEGO-based 3D printer
- 3D printing is worth my time and a lot of investment. says GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt
- New 3D printing template marketplace caught selling stolen jewelry, marketplace offline
- Defense Distributed unveils new 3D printed gun magazine and named it "Cuomo" (video)
- Form 1 3D Printer entered into full production, on schedule to deliver end of April
- Scientists build 3D printed titanium fish tags to track big fish