This stunning Cocoon Lamp is inspired by Neri Oxman's "the beast", cocoon is also from the nature - a cocoon is a shell which protects the insect for their metamorphosis. It is created by Patric Günther at the Voxel Studio and 3d printed by Objet Technologies.
With the polyjet technologies from Objet Connex multi-material 3D printer, it is possible to print the Cocoon Lamp with more than just one material.
The Cocoon Lamp consists of 3 materials:
1. The white and hard material "VeroWhite" is used for inner element of the lamp providing rigidity and disseminates and light can be reflected through its surface.
2. TangoBlackPlus is a flexible, rubber-like dark layer that is used for the surfaces of the side of the lamellae, this is for providing the desired color contrast and surface protection.
3. The cocoon is connected to the mounting element through a fitting at its lower end. This special fitting is printed out of "DigitalMaterial" which is the mixture of "VeroWhite" and "TangoBlackPlus" materials made from the PolyJet matrix technology. The result is mixed color - grey and mixed features - not stiff but also not completely flexible.
The Cocoon Lamp can be turned, laid or hung up in different positions and appear different effect. The design casts a warm honeycomb pattern on walls and providing an artistic effects and harmonized atmosphere.
Enjoy some more photos of this beautiful design:
Print and remove from the build tray:
(image courtesy of Voxel Studio)
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- 3D printing used in upcoming animation "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"
- Inspiring 3D Printing experiments by Monocircus full of fun and love
- To design, 3D print and share Makerbot playsets
- 10 super beautiful 3D printed mathematical sculptures of Henry Segerman
- Make your own 3D printed zoetrope
- A phenomenal 3D printed puzzle that challenges your brain
- Tardis Cookie Cutter - an easy and fun use of a 3D printer
- 3D print your own tie
- Eyewear made through 3D printing and traditional needlework
- MK7 filament guide spring loaded with ball bearing
- 3D print you home to be a snow globe scene