This should be an exciting news for all the kids - free Universal Construction Kit is announced which is a set of adapters for complete interoperability between 10 popular construction toys. Consisting of almost eighty free adapter bricks the Free Universal Connectivity Kit allows all popular construction toys from Lego, Duplo, Fischertechnik, Gears! Gears! Gears!, K’Nex, Krinkles (Bristle Blocks), Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Zome, and Zoob to connect to any other.
The kit makes it possible to create new forms of intercourse between all toys and brings children much more combinatorial possibilities. It opens doors to new creative worlds thank for the advent of low-cost 3D printing.
The Construction kit is designed by F.A.T. Lab and Sy-Lab, it offers a "best of all worlds" approach to play and learning that combines the advantages of each toy system. We selected construction sets for inclusion based on their significant level of market penetration, as well as for the diversity of features they brought to the Kit's collection. Some of the supported construction systems, for example, offer great mechanical strength, or the ability to build at large scales; others offer the means to design kinetic movements; and still others permit the creation of a wide range of crystallographic geometries and symmetries. Using these classic toys as a foundation, the Free Universal Construction Kit offers a "meta-mashup system" ideally provisioned for the creation of transgressive architecture and chimeric readymades. - fffff.at
All 3D models of The Free Universal Construction Kit are freely available in .STL format from Thingiverse.com. Everyone is encouraged to download the file and 3D-print them with your Makerbot, RepRap, Ultimaker etc 3D printer. Or you can use any available online 3D printing services such as Shapeways or Ponoko to print high precision adapters.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- 3D printed armband with cord organizer for 6th gen Ipod nano
- A trend of using 3D printers to make complex gear systems
- 3D print and build your own Vampire quadcopter
- Objet 3D Printer to appear in Channel 4's new series "Home of the Future"
- 3D printing a data sculpture of your digital identity
- 3D printed prosthetic hand awarded top innovation prize
- 3D printed bowl
- How far fashion goes using 3D printing this week
- 3D printing in school - Young students print their own head
- 8 Cool iPhone amplifiers created using 3D printer
- Swedish startup gets 3D printing into wedding industry
- 3D printed Cello Girl on Kickstarter
- First 3D printed Pirate Bay ship delivered with a hefty price tag
- Brendan Dawes' diary - Everything I make with my MakerBot
- 3D printed "Empty Chair"