April 22, 2012
This is video uploaded by James Bruton of Southampton, UK about how he made the 3D printed Hop Pod for his life size Iron Man suit. This piece is 0.9mm thick to save on plastic/costs. He designed it in Autodesk 123D and had it printed at Shapeways. You can find them in his Shapeways store.
"Possibly other detail parts, it's not really economical for large pieces at the moment, although I'll probably design other 3D printed things like robots parts etc too."
He built the Iron Man suit using 10mm thick Plastazote LD45 foam and hot PVA glue. The detail parts for the ear and shoulder pivot are made from clay and bottle tops and then moulded and casted in resin.
See how it looks like...Very cool! He documented his technique in his blog so you can follow up his progress.
Photo credit/Source: Xrobots
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Using 3D printing to produce replacement parts for a bike
- 3D printer creates human tissues for drug testing
- Collen Jordan created adorable wearable planters using a 3D printer
- Scientists create robotic dinosaurs using 3D printers
- 3D printed armband with cord organizer for 6th gen Ipod nano
- A trend of using 3D printers to make complex gear systems
- 3D print and build your own Vampire quadcopter
- Objet 3D Printer to appear in Channel 4's new series "Home of the Future"
- 3D printing a data sculpture of your digital identity
- 3D printed prosthetic hand awarded top innovation prize
- 3D printed bowl
- How far fashion goes using 3D printing this week
- 3D printing in school - Young students print their own head
- 8 Cool iPhone amplifiers created using 3D printer
- Swedish startup gets 3D printing into wedding industry
Fred Prescoe wrote at 1/26/2015 2:40:50 AM:
That's uber cool. It really opens up just how useful 3D printing could be and an insight into how its progressed so much so that even normal folk can dabble in it and produce some spectacular things like that. On his blog he has basically created the whole ironman suit. Incredible. There's some top 10 3D printer facts at 3dprinterxyz.com