May 19, 2012
In the fashion world every woman should have a Cartier ring in their jewelry collection, but what will a Cartier ring look like if we took the form which is an expression of the culture of a brand? Young designer Alvaro Soto will show you.
You may all know about integrating the waveform of your favorite audio into the structure of the iPhone case and get it 3D printed out - Soto has got the similar idea to convert data into his design. He visited the Cartier store at 5th Avenue in New York and recorded video and sound samples at its showroom.
With the use of generative algorithms and parametric design the sound waves is converted into faceted geometries with Rhino script. It is then 3D-printed out in stainless steel and painted gold. Each ring visualizes a soundwave and that makes it unique.
"For the ring project I stepped back and started the process from the very first beginning. Choosing a category then the concept and story that the object would tell. I think is fascinating the idea of capturing essence in the environment. So as if it was the DNA of the space I sampled the ambient audio of 3 different luxury jewelry stores in 5th ave to create a true representation of the chaotic retail environment. Sound in this case is very suttle but due to the scale and archetype of the ring the sound seems to embrace the hidden noises of these boutiques." - said Alvaro Soto, who studied product design at ICESI university in Cali and he is currently finishing a masters in design and technology from Parsons The New School for design in NYC.
So did he in his visit of all famous brands in New York, and that is the base of the Truecartier project. Soto wants to show that luxury can be redefined. What's relationship between form and luxury? what does it mean to have a shop in 5th Avenue in New York? How does the sound in 5th Avenue look like? Maybe these forms can give you an answer. If you want also to have such a ring, a little patience is required before you can find this ring available on Shapeways. By then you could choose to 3D-print with all kinds of materials.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Tardis Cookie Cutter - an easy and fun use of a 3D printer
- 3D print your own tie
- Eyewear made through 3D printing and traditional needlework
- MK7 filament guide spring loaded with ball bearing
- 3D print you home to be a snow globe scene
- Minecraft Village printed on a 3D printer
- Super lightweight bike using 3D printed stainless steel lugs
- Mysterious Gömböc built by Objet 3D printer
- 3D Printer brings a Robotic Hand from design to life
- Designing and 3D printing a synchro gearbox
- 3D printing and 111 five euro cent coins
- Experimental kite features 1700 3D printed connectors
- Nature-inspired greenhouse created using a 3D printer
- GE shares a 3D printed Christmas Tree ornament
- 3D printed Kindle Kapsule Lightstand for your beloved
- World's first 3D printed customized implant wins innovation award
- Fishman guitar amplification devices created with 3D printer
- 5 stunning 3D printed gear sibling
- 2D mechatronic printer created with 3D printer
- 3D printed models acts in best ads of 2011 "Back To The Start"