A dodecahedron speaker can project sound wave in all direction and can be a great tool used for parties. It is very expensive if you buy one, but Maker Sean Ragan created a Dodecahedron Speaker in very low cost using a 3D printer.
His design of this 12-sided speaker uses a bunch of 3D printed parts such as plugs, bezels and face modules. These parts can all be 3D printed on a RepRap, MakerBot, Up!, MakerGear, Ultimaker, any of those DIY 3D printer as long as it has a build envelope of at least 122 × 122 × 14 mm. The total cost is just under $100 including parts and materials such as speakers, hardware, wires, cable etc.
The high symmetry of the dodecahedron is amenable to a modular design, and this one consists of four basic parts: the face modules, the vertex plugs, the edge gaskets, and the bezels. (NOTE: These models are also available on Thingiverse.) The speaker grilles are made from hardware store window screen cloth installed in the bezels using rubber spline and a screen roller tool, just like a residential window screen.
Each speaker is only rated at 3W, and they are wired in a hybrid series-parallel circuit that brings the total array impedance to about 10 ohms (again not counting the cable) which should be a comfortable load for most amplifiers.
This 3D printed dodecahedron speaker can be a fun weekend project for tinkerers used for a summer party. Sean wrote an awesome and detailed tutorial on Instructables to help you out with building one for yourself, and he also shared all the model files on Thingiverse.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- World first 3D printed Swimming Humanoid robot
- Meshu turns your roadtrip into unique jewelry using 3D printing
- Robotic hand 3D-printed in one piece
- Turning 3D prints failure into art
- Design and 3D print "Love and Hate" word blocks
- Getting Angry Birds jewelry designs to the mass market, thanks to 3D printing
- Makies.me, customizable 3D printed Avatar dolls creation site launched as an alpha
- 3D-Printed Truecartier ring showing sounds from luxurious jewelry stores in NYC
- Tiny planetary gears set 3D-printed on a Makerbot Replicator
- The first 3D-printed sex toy prototype is there
- 3D printed ear adapter turns your earbuds into headphones
- Stop-motion Movie 'Paranorman' used 3D printers to create 31,000 individual facial parts
- Edible Chocolate Brain created from MRI scan and 3D printer
- Jay Leno uses 3D scanner and 3D Printer to replace old car parts
- 3D-Print a battery adapter for Canon Powershot SX200
- 3D printed Tanorexic Doll inspired by Tanning Mom
- One piece 3D printed hand glider that flies
- 3D printed Atlas co-op bot from portal 2
- 3D printed milk jug tells if you have milk at home
- 3D printed smart bandage that stimulates and directs blood vessel growth
- Disney World hosts "Carbon-Freeze Me" Experience using 3D printing technology
- How to design and 3D-print your own Tilt-Shift Lens Adapter
- 3D Printer allows ANYONE to make their ideas into real functional objects
- 3D printed 4D player kit and programmable kalimba