MakerBot is celebrating the grand opening of its first retail outlet in US on November 20th with the unveiling of a fully automated MakerBot 3D Photo Booth.
MakerBot works together with Baltimore based ShapeShot to provide a 3D Photo Booth experience for customers - a chance to capture and create a 3D portrait and replica of your face. The MakerBot 3D Photo Booth uses digital cameras to capture or scan the face. The images are then combined to create an accurate three-dimensional model of the face, including textures. The data can then be used to print out a 3D replica of your face.
(Images credit: ShapeShot)
The 3D portrait is a cool souvenir, and is the perfect gift for birthdays, bar or bat mitzvahs, and holidays. Customers can also get a 3D bust of their baby, friends, and the whole family.
"This is beyond digital photography - it is the future -- and to be able to create a 3D image of yourself is just amazing," Bre Pettis, CEO and co-founder of MakerBot Industries. "We've had celebrities and musicians come in and get a 3D Portrait made. It's fun, it's inexpensive, and it's totally cool."
For $5, visitors can have a 3D scan made of their face at Makerbot store. They can then choose to have it printed in the store or order specific item (costs vary depending on item), or take the design with them to modify and print on their own.
Store Location. Below is video made by Phil Torrone who made a visit to the Makerbot Store in Manhattan in September.
Posted in 3D Printing Companies
Maybe you also like:
- Kickstarter prehistoric dinosaur back to life with 3D Scaning and 3D printing
- Is Makerbot going closed source?
- 3D printer helping company to bring its products to market quicker
- Hack and refill a Stratasys Dimension 3D printer
- Ancient sea creature reconstructed with CT Scan and 3D printer
- Makerbot launched Replicator 2 fully assembled desktop 3D printer
- LAYWOO-D3: New FDM filament can print wood with tree rings
- Conceptual footwear fuses classic design with 3D printed soles
- Computer program automatically improves structural strength of 3D printable objects
- PandaBot 3D printer is Live on Kickstarter
- Design a case for iPhone 5 with Tinkercad
- HP should focus on making 3D printer, say analysts
- Recap of Maker Faire NYC 2012
- Make your own 3D printed headphone
- 3D printed Optics from Disney Research
- 3D Systems acquires leading Dutch prototyping company
- 3D scan of Newton's Death Mask
- Win a 3D printed Borderlands 2 Claptrap