The Defense Distributed updated their progress with the 3D printed gun. The team made another test fire with a 3D printed AR magazine over the weekend and it was a success. They modified the parts and introduced a little graphite into the new mag body, and it was proved to be a successful revision. Instead of firing only six shots before the lower broke, they fired 50 rounds before the plastic of the lips began to deform. Defense Distributed stated that they would continue with the WikiWeapon project inspite the concerns against the 3D printed gun.
(Image: Defense Distributed)
End of last year US congressman urges lawmakers to renew a federal ban on 3D printed guns. President Barack Obama has pushed reducing gun violence to the top of his domestic agenda following the shooting at a Connecticut school, that a gunman slaughtered 20 children and six adults with a legally purchased high-powered rifle before killing himself.
Vice President Joseph Biden said he will deliver his recommendations for comprehensive gun violence legislation to President Barack Obama on Tuesday. He said recommendations could include universal background checks for gun buyers, a ban on sales of assault weapons, limits on high-capacity ammunition magazines and updating databases with information about convicted criminals. And it probably also include something for 3D printed gun.
The National Rifle Association and other pro-gun groups met with Biden on Thursday and said they wants to have an armed security officer in every school in the country instead.
"I have never quite heard as much talk about the need to do something about high-capacity magazines as I have heard spontaneously from every group I have met with so far," Biden said prior to a stakeholders' meeting on Thursday.
Obama will review the Biden group's proposal, and then decide which ones he wants to keep and when to act.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Iconic:am The waterproof mountable iPhone case with customizable, 3D-printed mounts
- Get back to normal life with DIY prosthetic fingers
- 3D printing an acoustic stand on the cheap
- World's first 3D printed artificial reef
- Olaf Diegel's 3D-printed Guitars available on Cubify
- 3D printed Water Waves lamps inspired by traditional Chinese painting
- 3D printed Eye of Sauron iPhone 5 case for Lord Of The Rings fans
- The art of 3D print failure
- Keep your earbuds in your ears with 3D printed button
- 3D printed protein model gives hands-on help for learning the secrets of molecules