Nokia's 3D printing community project is offering more people the possibility to create their own cases. Nokia has just released the 3D printing files for its Lumia 820. This Windows Phone 8 smartphone has an interchangeable shell that users can not only replace with Nokia-made shells in different colors, but also 3D print their own custom case.
This 3D printing development kit contains files for 3D printers as well as tutorials and tips on how to create a unique case for the Lumia 820, including 3D templates, case specs, recommended materials and best practices.
This is the first major phone company to begin embracing the 3D printing community and its incredible potential. The project is a little like the Nokia 5110 and its rainbow collection of removable faceplates 15 years ago.
The mechanical drawings of Nokia Lumia 820 back panel for 3D printing (all parts) are available for download here, back shell for 3D printing (STP) here and back shell for 3D printing (shell separated) here.
"Internally it (3D printing) helps us with rapid prototyping as we, to borrow Stephen Elop's words, "increase the clock speed of Nokia." In the future, I envision wildly more modular and customizable phones. Perhaps in addition to our own beautifully-designed phones, we could sell some kind of phone template, and entrepreneurs the world over could build a local business on building phones precisely tailored to the needs of his or her local community. You want a waterproof, glow-in-the-dark phone with a bottle-opener and a solar charger? Someone can build it for you—or you can print it yourself!" John Kneeland, a Nokia Community & developer marketing manager, told Nokia Conversations.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- New Stratasys' first 3d printed Model Using FDM and Inkjet Technologies
- US Congressman introducing ban on 3D-printable gun magazines
- Add 3D printed adapters to Cubelets
- 3D printable 1:10 Radio controlled truggy car
- Dutch architect to build "endless" house with 3D printer
- Making an UX5 tube socket using a 3D printer
- Joshua Demonte: create architectural jewelry with 3D printing
- WikiWeapon project fired 50 rounds with a 3D printed AR magazine (video)
- 3D printing celebrates personalities while hiding lost limbs (video)
- US army sent 2nd mobile 3D printing lab to Afghanistan