The Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) of DHS (Department of Homeland Security) in USA issues a Request for Information (RFI) for gathering all the information about rapid prototyping, aiming to introduce rapid prototyping technology into R&D and mission for S&T.
The objective of this requirement is to determine whether a flexible capability to rapidly develop and deliver models, prototypes, and products to facilitate the adoption of S&T sponsored technologies by operational end users can be established on a directorate wide methodology and process. Wrote S&T in the statement of objectives.
Rapid Prototyping can quickly take a technical concept from idea through design and development to a working model, according to S&T, the adoption of rapid prototyping technology could benefit the country's border and maritime security, chemical/biological defense, cyber security, explosives, resiliency and first responders.
S&T cites three example scenarios that could use a rapid prototyping:
1. Existing S&T Prototype
One S&T prototype is a surveillance camera. This surveillance camera is still a laboratory model and not ready for production. S&T need potential performer to improve the design, test it and bring it to the market.
2. Existing Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS):
If such a COTS product requires additional development, a rapid prototype process would allow S&T to modify and test the new configuration and/or capability.
Early basic research has been completed and S&T must build the prototype to prove the new capability works in an operational environment.
For this context, S&T is dividing this development construct into four phases going from Proof-of-Concept, New Capability for an Operational Context, Piloting in an Operational Environment, and Pre-production and would like to understand how current rapid prototyping capabilities could be integrated into each phase.
Interested parties are requested to submit a statement of capability outlining their understanding of rapid prototyping as well as their own capabilities and past work that is related to this RFI. Submissions must be submitted no later than Friday February 22, 2013.
Posted in Rapid Prototyping
Maybe you also like:
- CARTIS to Showcase Benefits of Digital Design and Additive Fabrication in Maxillofacial Surgery
- 3D printed Game of Thrones inspired iPhone/Android Dock
- Make a DIY 3D bioprinter out of an old inkjet to print biomaterials
- Clean and elegant DeltaMaker personal 3D printer
- Open-source 3D printed RoboHand changes one little boy's life
- Olaf Diegel launched a new 3D printed electric guitar Americana
- Build your own fantastical characters with 3D printed modular action figures ModiBot
- Give your own 3D chocolate face to your sweetheart on Valentine's Day