How cool is it to make a robot of your own! Mike, a computer programmer by day and an amateur roboticist by night, created a DARwIn-OP clone using DIY 3d printers.
DARwIn-OP, which stands for Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence–Open Platform, is developed and manufactured by Korean robot manufacturer ROBOTIS. It is an affordable, miniature-humanoid-robot platform with advanced computational power, sophisticated sensors, high payload capacity, and dynamic motion ability. Check out the video below the DARwIn-OP in RoboCup2012.
For Mike this project is to find new and cheaper ways to create and build DARwIn-OP robots. He downloaded all of the 3d CAD files and printed out all parts on a UP! Plus 3D printer. The detail assembly, wiring and fabrication manuals can be downloaded from ROBOTIS site. The great advantage of personal fabrication is you are able to design and redesign the parts until you get it right. When some parts break in the test run he just can just redesign them or correct a weakness, and print out new and improved parts.
This is the latest working robot printed on a DIY 3D printer:
(Images credit: moverstreet007/ Mike)
Total cost for my project was 6000 USD if you don't include the 3d printers that I used. A lot of money yes but if you buy a factory made DARwIn-OP from Robotis the cost is 12,000.00 USD. So I saved about 50% of the cost of the robot by building it myself.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- 3D printed kits of world's oldest working narrow gauge engines on Kickstarter
- 3D printing is worth my time and a lot of investment. says GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt
- Defense Distributed unveils new 3D printed gun magazine and named it "Cuomo" (video)
- Scientists build hi-tech fish tags using 3D printing to track big fish
- Researchers reconstruct face of King Richard III using 3D tools
- Flomio launches custom 3D printables with an NFC Tag embedded
- 3D printing: Make anything you want by pressing "print" (video)
- 3D printed Cube business cards ends up ON your desk
- 3D printed miniature of Winterfell from Game Of Thrones
- Green giant Hulk 3D printed on a MakerBot Replicator 2
- Update: Little Liam got 3D printed robotic hand, design files shared
- In new episode of CBS "The Big Bang Theory" Howard and Raj get a 3D printer
- Charge your iPhone 5 with Apple's Universal Dock and 3D printed adapter
Nootrix wrote at 10/20/2013 10:02:25 PM:
A new competitor named poppy is born. It is also open source (both software and hardware). More on: http://nootrix.com/2013/10/3d-printed-humanoids/