George w. Hart, a mathematical sculptor and designer, is always looking for interesting subjects and trying to create them with cutting edge technology, showing the world the math is cool.
His recent joint project with Robert Hanson of Towson University, is converting images of frieze patterns and tessellations for example, from M.C. Escher, into 3D-printed rollers for shaping custom-designed cookies.
The rollers can be produced on a desktop 3D printer - Hart printed them in ABS plastic on a Makerbot Replicator. You can simply just roll the roller over your cookie dough before baking. The 3D printed rollers can also be used by ceramicists to apply repeating patterns in their work.
Below are some sugar cookies based on tessellation patterns of M.C. Escher.
(Images credit: George Hart)
The 3D files are made freely available, so anyone can download them and 3D-print rollers for their own favorite frieze patterns.
If you want to make your own patterned cookies, check this paper, written by Robert Hanson and George Hart, "Custom 3D-Printed Rollers for Frieze Pattern Cookies", showing step by step instruction on how to use the software for your own custom roller.
Watch below a great cooking video showing you how to make Escher cookies.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- New Balance track shoes adding customization with 3D printing
- Physicists create the first knotted vortex ring with 3D printed wings
- The first fully 3D printed dress
- Using 3D printed heart models to prepare for heart surgery for babies
- 3D printed mountain: enjoying scenic views from home!
- J-15 Chief Architect: 3D printing used in developing new fighter jet
- 3D Printing from racing to automotive
- Creating low cost violin mold with 3D printing
- RecycleBot turns old milk jugs into 3D printer feedstock
- 3D printing brings customized, low-cost polymer implants to patients
- 3D printed Cellular Loop chair, design of nature without DNA
- Early version of Nike LeBron X: Z-Corp 3D printed prototype
- 3D printed AR lowers holds up 600+ rounds, file ready for download