April 2, 2013
Annex Products, an Australian company that creates functional accessories for mobile technology has partnered with Shapeways to offer their customers 3D printed replacement locking collars for the Bike Mount.
There are numerous smartphone bike mounting kits out there on the market due to increasing mobile GPS apps usage by bikers. The Quad Lock iPhone bike mounting system from Annex Products is an interesting and innovate product, that uses patented Quad Lock dual action locking mechanism to mount your iPhone everywhere.
After receiving an increasing number of inquiries for more color choices for the Quad Lock Bike Mount, Annex started to investigate the possibilities and the costs. Molds maker requires a minimum order of 2,000 units which is not feasible for a startup.
Annex had previous experience with 3D printing, the decision was quickly made. Teamed up with Shapeways Annex Products is able to offer 3D printed replacement locking collars for the Bike Mount Pro in 6 different colors. The parts are 3D printed in Strong and Flexible plastic by Shapeways and sent directly to customers. The finish is not as smooth as an injection molded part but it functions just the same.
If you would like to customise your Quad Lock Mount to match your bike check Annex's Shapeways store here. You can purchase it for $10 each. The Quad Lock Bike Mount PRO (US$29.95) and Quad Lock Bike Mount Kit - iPhone 5 (US$69.95) can be purchased from Quad Lock.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Chinese-German nanotech center to develop bioactive implants using 3D printing
- Doctors 3D printed a new face for a cancer victim
- Innovate family portrait with 3D scanning and 3D printing
- Making harmonics into visual works using 3D printing
- Recovering unused energy with 3D printed flexible thermoelectric generators
- Michigan Tech releases open-source 3D-printable optics designs
- Hack IKEA's Frosta stool with drill, pliers, metal saw and 3D printer
- MakerBot partners with OUYA to let you 3D print your own OUYA Game Consoles
- UCreate3D on Indiegogo: 3D printed cases for all smartphones & tablets
- 3D print a Goldeneye 007 Remote Mine to impress your friends
- Has 3D printing ever puzzled you?
- Ride 3D printed snowboard in the steep and deep of Colorado
- 5 ways a 3D printer will save your life
- 3D-printable GlaDOS robotic arm ceiling lamp