The Northlake Public Library in Illinois launches an IndieGoGo campaign hoping to raise fund for getting a 9-foot-tall (2.7-meter) Incredible Hulk statue, more graphic novels and some digital tools such as iMac with a drawing pad, editing software etc, and of course, a 3D printer.
Why The Hulk? The team says,
Just as Dr. Bruce Banner transforms into the Hulk, we want our library community members to make their own personal transformations through books, programs, and awesome new equipment. This larger-than-life literary character will become a giant green beacon of light to highlight our graphic novel collection, our creation station… not to mention the library's sense of humor and whimsy. The project will show off the fun side of the library and get the community talking. The HULK will force patrons to look at the library in a whole new way.
Art Spiegelman, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Maus, once said that "comics are a gateway drug to literacy." We want people of all ages to start reading these addictive and powerful books.
We also want to promote digital literacy and provide patrons with a spot where they can create their own comics, art, movies and experiment with digital design and photo editing. We want to provide patrons with a glimpse into the future with cutting edge technology like 3D printers.
This is the fully licensed 9 foot tall Hulk statue made by Studio Oxmox.
A 3D printer could allow patrons to bring their designs to life.
The library hopes to raise totally $30,000 for the campaign and up to know they have raised $775 with 38 days to go. "If we do not raise the full amount, we will first use the funds to purchase the statue, then a mix of technology and graphic novels. If we don't raise enough to purchase the statue, we will use the funds to purchase new graphic novels." says the librarian.
If you would like to support them to bring the world of comics to their patrons check their IndieGoGo campaign here.
Posted in 3D Printing Services
Maybe you also like:
- 3DLT partners with makexyz for 3D printing services
- Staples opens first 3D Experience Centre in Netherlands
- Additer: a new marketplace for digital manufacturing services
- Shapeways Raises $30M C Round, Led By Andreessen Horowitz
- Rapid Manufactory: First 3D printing shop in Middle East
- Chicago's first 3D printing store to open next Monday
- 3D Hubs is building a large production network of 3D printers
- 3D Systems Launches 3DMe figurines on Cubify
- Miproto turns your idea into a 3D printed model
- Sony launched 3D photo booth at ACE 2013
- RobotShop announces 3D printing service for robotic parts
- Customize your own parts through a single model on Parametric Parts
- Become your own 3D printed jewel with the 3D Kissing Booth
- Luxury at reach with Shapeways' addition of Premium Silver