Designer Earl Stewart has recently designed a few different types of shoes using 3D printers. The 'bits shoe' was made of a Selective Laser Sintered nylon sole with leather pieces on top. The designer first made three-dimensional scans of the feet to ensure a perfect fit. The leather piece is laser cut and then perforated before stitching. The last step is to combine the 3D printed sole with the top.
This is a nice combination of traditional craft & modern rapid manufacturing techniques. Check out the "Bits Shoe" in the gallery below.
Stewart investigates also the utilization of rapid manufacturing techniques to create flexibility & rigidity in a single seamless form. All his design process uses accurate 3D scans of the feet, and the sole is designed in collaboration with a podiatrist to ensure comfort, stability & alignment are for the benefit of the individual.
Along with understanding the biomechanics of the foot, Stewart's another shoe design, XYZ shoe, also considers cultural & biological values that are important for the individuality of the user. Using the Multi Material 3D printer from Objets Connex Stewart printed the XYZ shoe in just one piece.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- DNA 3D printed shoe (concept) built for the way you move
- State Department ordered to take down 3D printable gun files
- Artifact: 'technology can fail to capture real life'
- Experts warns that 3D-printed guns may cause a danger to their users
- Raspberry Pi powered RoboKeg is a 3D printed hand-free beer dispenser
- Why designer Alan Nguyen made a 3D printed 'iPhone Shoe'
- Robohand on Indiegogo: 3D printing collaboration creates helping hands
- Seattle Film Festival created classic moments in movies using 3D printing
- VEEMEE 3D Printer in PlayStation®Home
- Lexus' 3D printed giant puppet finds love in Daniel Kleinman's eye-opening spot
- Daniel Widrig to show off 3D printed design this week in London
- New disk-like invisibility cloak is 3D-printed 'Frisbee'
- The CAD files of first fully 3D printable gun are released