On Tuesday Formlabs released a Macintosh-compatible version of PreForm software. The PreForm 0.8.4 on Mac OS X is released with complete feature parity with the Windows version.
Automatic Mesh Repair
PreForm 0.8.4 release for Windows and Mac contains a powerful new feature -- automatic mesh repair. PreForm's mesh repair tool integrates software from Netfabb and it will automatically clean up artifacts, close triangles, and join vertices, so that your models will print reliably on the Form 1.
Check out the images below.
A modified mesh, at left, and post automatic repair, at right. Model courtesy of barney.
The model below is viewed through PreForm's built-in slicer. The model at left will print very poorly. You can see where the laser will skip all over the place, trying to fill broken and malformed triangles. The model on the right, however, after automatic repair, will print beautifully!
Model courtesy of barney.
Posted in 3D Software
Maybe you also like:
- 3D Systems launches Cubify Sculpt for 3D creation
- Mixee Labs launches customizable 3d printed Slim Wallet
- Microsoft shows making 3D objects will be as easy as printing a Word doc
- Disney's new image algorithm turns 2D photos into a 3D model
- Make It Stand: balancing shapes for 3D printing
- MIT Develops New Ways to Streamline, Simplify 3D Printing
- Just-released Fedora 19 adds native support for 3D printers
- 3D sculpting tool Leopoly turns everyone into 3D modellers
- Microsoft adds 3D printing support to Windows 8.1, 3D printers soon in MS stores