Lagoa, a Montreal based 3D cloud platform startup, announced it has acquired 3DTin, a browser-based free 3D modeling tool.
Founded in 2012, the 3D Cloud Platform Lagoa utilizes the power of cloud processing for photoreal 3D visualization and collaboration, and allows developers to create their own applications via their API library. Lagoa enables 3D artists, designers, engineers, architects and advertisers to collaborate while rendering and finalizing spectacular 3D content. Earlier this year, Lagoa announced a $1.6 million round of seed funding from a strong list of backers: 500 Startups, Atlas Venture, Real Ventures and RHO Ventures, as well as a number of angels.
"The browser-based nature of 3DTin makes it the perfect addition to Lagoa," said Thiago Costa, CEO and co-founder of Lagoa. With Lagoa's products, you can work on rendering projects from your low end laptop, then you need to upload files to Lagoa's Scene editor. The acquisition will allow Lagoa to embed the 3DTin technology into its platform and users will be able to create and edit 3D model right within the Lagoa platform.
The acquisition demonstrates Lagoa's commitment to its vision of bringing the accessibility and power of browser-based 3D applications to everyone. In addition 3DTin had more than 100,000 users, the acquisition will add a large number of users to Lagoa's online 3D rendering platform.
Lagoa intends to maintain 3DTin as an independent solution. The terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
3DTin Founder and Developer Jayesh Salvi said, "We are thrilled to be joining Lagoa, who share our passion for the accessibility and freedom of browser-based 3D tools. With Lagoa's exceptional rendering product, 3DTin users will be able to do more with their 3D models. They will continue to enjoy all the great features they have grown to like in 3DTin and can expect more enhancements to their workflow, thanks to Lagoa."
Both the Lagoa rendering application and the 3DTin modeling tool will be on demonstration at World Maker Faire in New York City, September 21-22, at Lagoa booth number MP39, Pavillion C.
Posted in 3D Design
Maybe you also like:
- 3D model your own iPhone 5C case with Matter.io's iPhone Remix
- Meet the winners of IDSA 3d printed Race car challenge
- So, what exactly do people search for on Yeggi
- New database of 3D fossils lets you explore and 3D print
- Italian startup Makoo materializes your emotions with 3D printing
- Anne Zellien launches customizable Jewelry app on Twikit
- Cuboyo: a new 3D model repositories
- 3D printing tool: Pelican camera creates 3D model from video
- Pininfarina to use 3D modeling to design new concept car
- Create unique 3D printable objects with new Mixee Labs platform
- More than 100,000 things now on Thingiverse
- Forme It UK launches high resolution 3D models library
- Largest survey finds UK 3D design jobs taking off
- Cool sites let you share and sell your 3D design for 3D printing