The team who made Design & Thinking, a Kickstarter funded film that went on to inspire audiences worldwide, now present to you their second feature film—Maker: A documentary on Maker Movement, which will release on 2014 spring.
"Maker" is a feature-length documentary that looks into the current maker movement in America – a new wave of Do-It-Yourself and Do-It-Together fueled by passion and powered by the advent of new technologies.
The "Maker Movement", sometimes called the "Third Industrial Revolution," subverts traditional manufacturing by building on innovative concepts such as open source, local manufacturing, crowd funding, and digital fabrication. Dismissed by some as a hobbyist movement, "Maker" delves deep into this ecosystem of design and manufacturing in the Internet era. The film explores the ideas, tools, and personalities that are driving the Maker Movement – and returns with a timely snapshot of one of the transforming influences of the current age.
We interviewed key figures, makers and critics of the movement to illustrate the ecosystem and present insights on how it can impact society, culture and economy in the U.S., and the world.
The Interviewees include:
- Alec Foege: Author of "The Tinkerers"
- A. Red Ukachukwu: Production Engineer of Shapeways
- Barry Katz: Consulting Professor in the Design Division at Stanford University
- Beth Comstock: CMO of GE
- Carl Bass: CEO of Autodesk
- Chris Anderson: Author of "Makers: The New Industrial Revolution", CEO of 3D Robotics
- Dale Dougherty: CEO of Maker Media
- Danae Ringelmann: Founder of Indiegogo
- David Lang & Eric Stackpole: Co-Founder & Founder of OpenROV
- Eri Gentry & Raymond McCauley: Executive Director & Principal of BioCurious
- Eric Migicovsky: CEO of Pebble Watch
- Hugh Dubberly: President of Dubberly Design
- Jacob Ferguson: Interaction Designer of Local Motors
- Jeremt Conrad & Helen Zelman: Founding partners of Lemnos Labs
- Mark Dwight: Founder/CEO of Rickshaw Bagworks; Founder/Chairman of SFMade.org
- Mick Ebeling: Founder and CEO of The Ebeling Group (TEG)
- Jim Newton: Founder of TechShop
- Navi Radjou: Co-author of "Jugaad Innovation"
- Nemo Gould: An artist and sculptor
- Peter Platzer: CEO of Nanosatisifi
- Scott N. Miller: CEO & Co-Founder of Dragon Innovation
- Tanya Menendez & Matthew Burnett: Founders of Maker's Row
- Tim O'Reilly: Founder of O'Reilly Media
Currently the team is crowd-funding the film on Kickstarter - with 3 days remaining, the project has had 642 backers and over $30,000 in funds, doubled its original $15,000 goal.
Watch the the film's promo video below. To find out more or to support, go to the film's Kickstarter page.
Posted in 3D Printing Technology
Maybe you also like:
- New 3D printing technique to eliminate the need for multiple 3D printers
- 3D printing can cut material consumption by 75%, CO2 emissions by 40%
- Vitamin boost for 3D printing of medical implants
- Researchers develop 4D printing technology for composite materials
- UK grants £500K funds to bring 3D printers to 60 schools
- ESA demonstrates complex structures made of metal using 3D printing
- ESA Amaze project to take 3D printing into the metal age
- Gartner: 3D printing to result in $100 billion IP losses per year
- 3D printing of continuous fiber composites within reach in 3-5 years
- 3D printing: the business opportunities (video)
- 3D printing reality: myths about 3D printing busted (video)
- 3D printing isn't just cheaper, it's also greener, scientist says
- Gartner says 3D printer shipments to grow 49% in 2013, set to double year over year
El. from LTF wrote at 11/3/2013 2:54:10 PM:
The Maker movement documentary was also featured in this weekly episode of Fused News, you can check it out there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQyWRplz040