New 3D model repositories keep on emerging as businesses and individuals begin to recognize and embrace the cost and product manufacturing benefits of the 3D printing technology. Unlike these sharing sites, the latest project from OpenBuilds is a community driven machine/project sharing site that allows people who like to build things to get together and share ideas and the machine designs with everyone.
"We think of OpenBuilds as a kind of virtual hackerspace dedicated to open source hardware and design." says Mark and Trish of OpenBuilds team. "We believe that most new ideas in this industry come from the creative minds of DIYers and OpenBuilds gives a place to showcase these ideas and projects."
The site receives support through donations and its open source hardware store. The OpenBuilds Part Store gives 5% of the profits back to the community through the Fairshare Give Back Program. On the main page of the site you will see a few 3D printer builds as well as various other machines and projects.
OpenBuilds is officially open since December 2013. You can check out the site and free and open source designs here.
Posted in 3D Design
Maybe you also like:
- Block-based Blokify, free and easy 3D modeling app for kids
- Visualizing active sound waves with 3D printing & augmented reality
- Control 3D printers remotely & protect your designs with Secured3D
- 3D print your own Venus de Milo and Winged Victory of Samothrace
- ShapeDo 3D model Repository lets you edit and share design for 3D printing
- Porsche wants you to 3D print & customize your own Cayman
- 3D model sharing service Sketchfab raises $2 Million
- Easily make complex 3D printable objects with Autodesk Project Shapeshifter and Miller
- 3Dagogo, new 3D-printing marketplace features proven-to-print 3D designs
- Etsy: 3D printed items are 'Handmade In Spirit'