June 26, 2014
In 2012, Choc Edge Ltd, a spin-off company from the University of Exeter, UK founded by Dr Liang Hao, launched Choc Creator, the world first commercial 3D chocolate printer that allows sweet lovers to print their own custom-made 3D treats, layer by layer.
The Choc Creator V1, which was available to buy for £2,888, allows the creation of complex and artistic designs. The Choc Creator was billed as a "simple, yet versatile desktop 3D chocolate printer." In collabration with its Chinese partner, Choc Edge has officially released the second version of Choc Creator in Chinese market.
Same as the Choc Creator V1, the V2 utilizes an easy-to-use syringe based chocolate deposition head which allows users to rapidly install and remove syringe head units. The design enables users to refill the syringe with fresh chocolate (brown, dark, white, red, blue, etc.) within 10 minutes.
The Choc Creator V2 has a compact three dimensional motion platform, and every step is computerised to offer repeatability without errors. Miao Shuai of Choc Edge China partner told 3ders.org that the main difference between the Choc Creator V1 and the V2 is a new automatic temperature control system, ensuring a better flow in the printing process. The Choc Creator V2 also features a closed compartment which can help to keep the temperatures constant.
The Choc Creator V2 is designed to print accurate chocolate line tracks from 0.45 mm to 1.3 mm - much finer and more precise than its previous version. Your design can be rapidly sent to the printer via USB connection and printed directly onto various substrates such as on other chocolates, cakes, biscuits, dishes, paper for chocolate decoration.
- Build Envelope: 175(X)mm x 175(Y)mm x 65(Z)mm
- Maximum Linear Speed: 2000mm/min
- Printing Head: The deposition process is precisely controlled using a stepper motor to extrude chocolate out of a 10ml syringe. High Precision printing nozzle is used for fine printing (approx. 0.5mm to 1.5mm track depending on print setting). A melting pot, two sets of printing head consumables (2 syringes and 2 nozzles) will be supplied.
- File Format: Accepts STL files (standard 3d printing file) and G-code (standard SNC machining language).
- Software: This printer is controlled using open source software.
The Choc Creator V2 was displayed at the 2014 World 3D Printing Technology Industry Conference and Exhibition held in China and attracted a lot of attention from visitors. According to Miao, the Choc creator V2 3D printer is now starting taking pre-order. The delivery will be 1~1.5 month after receiving the deposit. The market price is RMB38,800 (USD6,226, EUR4,566, GBP3,665).
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- Virginia Tech introducing latest 3D printing vending machine DreamVendor 2
- First Belgian-made 3D printer TripodMaker wins big at Bizidee
- Chinese company showcases largest full color FDM 3D printer, 3.8m length
- German 3D printed SmoothFood actually looks and tastes pretty good
- New Matter's MOD-t 3D printer launches on Indiegogo, starting at $149
- Isis3D launches new dual extruder Isis One desktop 3D printer
- German startup launches 3D printing pen & $649 Iceman 3D printer on Indiegogo
- BetAbram to release 3D house printer for €12,000 in July/August 2014
- LittleDLPer aims to be an affordable open source DLP 3D printer, soon on Kickstarter
jc wrote at 7/18/2014 3:04:34 AM:
A 3d chocolate printer which barely has any Z depth for that much money???
CNK wrote at 6/28/2014 2:01:44 AM:
Shame it isn't Open Source, that syringe holder looks very 3D printable.
Arquit wrote at 6/26/2014 9:04:19 AM:
"World's first" and "version 2" don't have very much sense together...