The Executive Council of Amsterdam's hbo college has banned students and lecturers from making a gun with the college's 3D printer.
Information science teacher Willem Brouwer announced his plan to print a gun on Twitter. According to university magazine Foliaweb, he downloaded the blueprints of the gun "Liberator" from internet and wanted to print it out using college's 3D printer. "At this moment a pistol is being printed in the Theo Thijssen House." He wrote on Twitter on Monday afternoon. It was expected that the parts could be ready in the next day and then they could assembled the parts together to build a gun. "We can make a firing pin ourselves, but we are not going to test the weapon with real bullets. That's too dangerous. "said Boschman, technical education assistant in the Theo Thijssen House.
But the board pulled out the plug during printing process.
"We have stopped the printer half way. We do not want educational resources used to produce weapons or parts of weapons," said a spokeswoman for the board.
The teachers intended to initiate a discussion with students about information sharing by taking 3D-printed gun as an example. According to Foliaweb, Brouwer was planning to produce the gun without a firing pin.
'What the teachers did exceeds ethical boundaries', said Louise Gunning, Chairman of the Board.
The video below (only in Dutch) shows a journalist from PowNews caught Amsterdam college printing gun parts. The leader of the College immediately banned the printing.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Chinese-German nanotech center to develop bioactive implants using 3D printing
- Doctors 3D printed a new face for a cancer victim
- Innovate family portrait with 3D scanning and 3D printing
- Making harmonics into visual works using 3D printing
- Recovering unused energy with 3D printed flexible thermoelectric generators
- Michigan Tech releases open-source 3D-printable optics designs
- Hack IKEA's Frosta stool with drill, pliers, metal saw and 3D printer
- MakerBot partners with OUYA to let you 3D print your own OUYA Game Consoles
- UCreate3D on Indiegogo: 3D printed cases for all smartphones & tablets
- 3D print a Goldeneye 007 Remote Mine to impress your friends
- Has 3D printing ever puzzled you?
- Ride 3D printed snowboard in the steep and deep of Colorado
- 5 ways a 3D printer will save your life
- 3D-printable GlaDOS robotic arm ceiling lamp