London designer and researcher Shamees Aden has developed a prototype for running shoes that could repair themselves overnight. Called Protocells Trainers, Aden's shoes are made of protocells and 3D printed to the exact size of the user's foot.
In collaboration with Dr Martin Hanczyc, a professor at the University of Southern Denmark, Aden developed a synthetic biological substance with protocell technology. Protocells are non-living molecules that can be combined to create materials that react to pressure, movement, light or heat. This material can be 3D printed to fit the wearer's feet like a second skin.
"The effect to the athlete is that the Protocell synchronise to the individual foot because this living technology is responsive and reconfigurable. It adapts in real time to the current activity of the runner by adding extra support in high impace areas." notes Dr Hanczyc.
After a run, the protocells could heal their own tears while placed in a jar filled with protocell liquid. And they could also be dyed any colour.
Can the study of Protocell principles provoke a new vision for future materials? According to the designer, the the speculative results could actually become reality by 2050.
Posted in 3D Printing Materials
Maybe you also like:
- Formlabs announces white resin for the Form 1 3D printer
- Matt Stultz: advanced materials for 3D printing (video)
- Low-cost titanium powders used in 3D printing for the first time
- 3D printing materials market to reach $408.5 million by 2018
- Stratasys booth tour: new tough Nylon 12 announced at Euromold 2013
- Is waste peel the future material for green 3D printing?
- Produce your own filament for 3D printer with FilaFab
- Lab to develop 'Super-material' graphene for 3D printing
- Le Fabshop announces world first 'green' seaweed 3D printing filament
- 3D print multicolor objects with Stick Filament
jred7 wrote at 5/23/2014 6:56:24 PM:
Tell me about it. 2050??? Give me a break... Watch "Freejack" and see how they thought 2009 would turn out.
Mysterion wrote at 12/14/2013 3:03:19 AM:
Boy I can't wait to try these babies out on my deathbed...
Qrio wrote at 12/12/2013 5:17:04 AM:
trick of liquide magnet ...