What do you need to build a DIY laser based 3D scanner? A camera (e.g. web cam), a line laser, plain boards, PC and laser scanner software.
"Do it yourself Gadgets" didn't want to buy the line laser so he just made his own from supplies he can find in his home.
He tried two different methods of building line lasers. For the first build he used a small DC electric motor, a cheap laser pointer and small mirrors. He glued one little mirror to a squared board and mounted on the DC motor, then he added holders for the laser.
When the motor spins the mirror that reflects laser will draw a perfect line across the object he is scanning.
The second line laser he built was from the parts he disassembled from an old hard drive. He removed the actuator mechanism and mounted a small mirror on the actuator arm. Then he attached the actuator's coil to an AC current so when the AC current caused a vibrating actuator arm the laser could draw a line.
He showed some 3D scans he made with these two build:
Check out his page for more details on the project, if you are interested in making your own line laser for 3D scanning.
Posted in 3D Scanning
Maybe you also like:
- Build your own Kinect-like 3D camera
- Armada conceptual portable 3D scanner runing with iOS
- OrcaM reconstructs perfect digital copies of any object
- IRENE/3D scanner restores 125-Year-Old recordings
- Holiday project: build a 3D FabScan yourself
- Alley Posts: a beautiful film created using 3D Scanner
- 3D scanning technology helps Robot to learn
- Slic3r new version 0.7.0 is released
- Using 3D printing to produce replacement parts for a bike
- Free 3DBuzz Blender tutorials for download
- The world's largest museum goes digital with 3D scanning and 3D printing
- 3D Systems CEO discusses 3D printing technology on CNBC
- Join the first 3DTin Challenge to win a Makerbot 3D printer
- Big chance to win prizes in ceramic 3D printing design competition
Josh wrote at 2/8/2016 5:40:41 PM:
Or, simply aim the laser beam through the side of a glass rod...
3D Tweets MyVideosToWatch wrote at 6/19/2015 1:48:47 PM:
Build a 30$ laser Scanner http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-30-laser/