After the beta release of multi-material and multi-colour enhancement kit, RepRapPro announces today the release of Tricolour Mendel - an open-source RepRap Mendel 3D printer designed to work with three colours or three different plastics at the same time.
This new design is derived from RepRapPro Mono Mendel, a successful model from last year. Its primary design goals were to offer a printer which is easy to expand in functionality, which is low-cost, fast to replicate, to assemble and to commission.
The Tricolour Mendel features more compact extruder drives and enhanced Marlin firmware. "When the plastic filament being driven is in the drive the filament itself holds the drive together securely. But with no filament in it, the drive dismantles without tools for easy cleaning and servicing." In addition, the Arduino-compatible Melzi electronics are used for both the master and slave controllers.
- Build volume: 210x190x140mm
- Overall size: 500x460x410mm
- Printing materials: ABS, PLA, 1.75mm diameter
- Build surface: PCB-heated bed to reduce complexity of assembly and to ensure parts do not warp.
- Computer interface: USB
- X-carriage: Three Z-adjustable deposition heads
- Accuracy: 0.1mm
- Resolution: 0.0125mm
- Building speed: 1,800 mm/min
- Moving speed: 12,000 mm/min
- Deposition rate: 33 cm3 / hr
- Motion: Linear ball bearings on X and Y axes, Igus low friction bushings on Z axis.
- Pre-soldered electronics with built-in microSD card slot for standalone printing.
(Example Prints from RepRapPro Tricolour Mendel | Images credit: RepRapPro)
A Complete RepRapPro Tricolour Mendel Kit, which includes everything you need to get printing in three colours or materials, costs £746.80 / €938.80 / $1088.80 (including shipping), lead time is 30 working days.
The complete kit includes:
- All hardware (threaded and smooth rods, screws, nuts, washers, belts, bearings etc)
- Pre-soldered and programmed electronics
- MicroSD card + adapter
- Heated PCB build surface (requires eight soldered joints)
- Nozzle assembly and extruder drive mechanism
- 100m of 1.75mm diameter white PLA filament (approx 300g) for printing with
- 2 x 10m coloured filament for printing in multi-colours
- Universal power supply for all mains voltages between 110V and 250V
- All the 3D-printed Tricolour Mendel parts
You can also order a complete RepRapPro Tricolour Mendel Hardware Set without the 3D-printed parts, for £671 / €848 / $988 (including shipping).
Find out more information on RepRapPro's site. The team is researching many functional materials for future release, including electrically-conducting plastics, magnetic plastics and soluble support materials.
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- New MendelMax 2.0 3D printer announced
- Formatec's DLP 3D ceramic printer
- Awesome SCARA arm 3D printer makes it's first moves (video)
- DeltaMaker 3D printer successfully funded, heading into production
- Turkish foundry invests in a VX500 3D printer, sees great potential in 3D printing
- Microscale printing of a spaceship on world's fastest 3D printer
- 15-year-old student building an open source LEGO-based 3D printer
- Building a 3D printer that can print two objects at once
- Make a DIY 3D bioprinter out of an old inkjet to print biomaterials
- Clean and elegant DeltaMaker personal 3D printer
- New 3D Builder 3D printer from Netherlands