Occipital Inc. launches 'Skanect' 1.5, 3D scanning software for Mac OS X Mountain Lion. This new version is optimized to run on recent models of Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro.
Skanect is developed by the ManCTL company, a Franco-American entity founded in late 2011 and its aim is to allow users to create 3D scans using low-cost sensors, such as a Microsoft Kinect or Asus Xtion camera. With Skanect you can capture full color 3d models of rooms and people in less than 30 seconds. San Francisco based Occipital acquired ManCTL in Jun. 2013.
Skanect 1.5 for Mac OS X will allows users to create 3D scans on Apple computers. At this stage all sensors are supported, except Kinect for Windows.
It also includes a number of improvements which will soon be available for Windows too, such as:
- Export UV texture-mapped models (OBJ and PLY formats).
- VRML export (suitable to upload colored models to Shapeways).
- New export parameters: scale (millimeters, meters or inches) and number of faces.
- Improved user interface.
- Performance improvement (about 15%) for machines without GPU.
- Smoothing level parameter when creating watertight models.
- Track loss detection is now optional.
It also includes several bug fixes, including STL export, more robust file management, and more predictable offline reconstruction.
If you'd like to try Skanect for yourself, Skanect has two options available on the official site here, a free version allows you to export your file to to Sculpteo 3D printing service and Sketchfab online sharing platform; and a €99 ($129) single user license with unrestricted export.
Posted in 3D Scanning
Maybe you also like:
- Swedish museum to let visitors 'unwrap' a real mummy
- Artist used Google Glass to 3D scan museum's sculpture for 3D printing
- Occipital acquiring 3D-scanning startup ManCTL to make 3D modeling easier
- First ultra-high resolution 3D digital brain
- On Kickstarter: Set the world's 3D art free through a scanner
- Artec Spider 3D Scanner targets Objects with small details
- New SCENECT version: 3D scanning with Kinect is now even easier
- 3D scanners firm wins £1m contracts
- DIY VirtuRange LIDAR 3D-Scanner
- H3Dpro - 3D body scan and 3D figurine printing on Indiegogo
- 3D scanning reveals caterpillars turning into butterflies
- The Smithsonian is 3D-scanning the past for future generations
- Could 3D scanner detect mist, ice or humidity? Here are the remarkable results!