Brent Rubell has launched an indiegogo campaign this week for crowd funding for the development of heated beds for the Printrbot Simple XL/Extended Bed. Our reader Greg shared the story behind the project.
So, Printrbot decided not to make heated beds for their award winning Printrbot Simple printer, Brent Rubell took the matter into his own hands. He opened Printrbotter.com, an aftermarket store for Printrbot and 3D Printer accessories to support the Simple owners who wanted heated beds. He made everything himself, and made sure every part (down to the wires attached to the bed and packing materials used) were made in the United States.
Over the course of four months, he has produced and sold over 30 heated beds for Printrbot Simple owners allowing them to print with ABS and other exotic filament.
After twelve flawed PCB designs and three months, he has finally figured out how to make a Printrbot Simple heatbed for the Extended/XL Bed modification. He wants to make 1 run of 100 so he is able to cover the stenciling costs, $0 profit will be made, and produce more in the future for customers.
The newly designed heated bed has a new size, and will be built with new heat dissipation techniques. A wired heated bed cost $24 on indiegogo including packing and shipping. You can also choose a complete plug & print bundle starting at $70. Brent expects some prices could be cheaper because they will be produced in volume.
Thanks to Greg for the tip!
Posted in 3D Printer Accessories
Maybe you also like:
- Next gen all metal 3D printer extruder from Micron
- Pico all-metal hotend 100% funded in 48 hours, B3 announces Stretch Goal
- Create it REAL announces first 3D printing Real Time Processor
- A larger and more powerful 3D printer extruder on Kickstarter
- Pico: all-metal hotend for RepRap 3D printers on Kickstarter
- Bulldog open source universal full metal direct drive extruder
- Turn your 3D printer into an instant laser cutter
- Introducing Makeraser / Makelastic - accessories for 3D printers
- Baboi Box: all-in-one 3D printer controller
Bruce Johnson wrote at 3/21/2014 5:42:53 PM:
Heated beds for Printrbot XL are available on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/261430154866?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649