Feb 5, 2016 | By Kira
3YOURMIND, a platform that simplifies how users order their 3D prints online, has developed and launched a new 3D printing plugin for Vectorworks 2016. With this free plugin, users will be able to directly check, analyze, repair and optimize their files for 3D printing. Once ready, a simple click uploads the 3D file to the 3DYOURMIND comparison tool, where users can compare the prices and 3D printing materials offered by global 3D printing services, including i.materialise and Sculpteo.
Vectorworks 2016 is a line of professional 2D and 3D software for the architecture, landscape and entertainment industries, that helps designers “communicate effectively and bring their visions to life,” all while keeping building information modeling (BIM) at the heart of the design process. With 3D printing becoming ever more prevalent amongst architects and other designers of physical and functional spaces, 3YOURMIND’s new plugin will ensure that 3D designers using Vectorworks 2016 will be able to easily optimize all of their files for 3D printing.
"We're thrilled to have teamed up with 3YOURMIND to offer this free plugin to our user community," said Jim Wilson, user experience manager at Vectorworks. "Now, users are just one click away from uploading their 3D files via this plugin to services that cater to all their 3D printing needs, where a wide range of materials are available to choose from and where secure file transfer with SSL is guaranteed."
The new 3D printing plugin is currently free to download via either Vectorworks’ or 3YOURMIND’s websites, and is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. “After clicking on the 3D printing command or using the 3D printing tool, you can repair and analyze your model, scale it, choose your material and compare prices of the best 3D printing services with one click,” said 3YOURMIND. The app’s features include:
- One-click upload
- Showing prices from different 3D printing services
- Model Repair function
- Wall thickness analysis (for small models)
- Download of the repaired file (STL)
- Secure File Transfer with SSL
This news comes just two months after 3YOURMIND received a significant investment from EOS founder and CEO, Hans J. Langer, who positioned himself as the new lead investor of the company in December 2015. Having already seen quite a bit of success already, with more than 60,000 price and 3D printing inquiries per month and customers in architecture, research firms, and international enterprises, Berlin-based 3YOURMIND seems both well-positioned and committed to developing innovative and useful 3D printing solutions for existing CAD programs that simplify and open up 3D printing to a wider variety of consumers.
Posted in 3D Design
Maybe you also like:
- Autodesk releases Meshmixer 3.0 with new features for multi-material 3D printing
- Room2Room from Microsoft uses augmented reality to beam a life-size person into your room for a video call
- Talented maker creates multi-colored '3D printed aviary' using single-extruder 3D printer and Simplify3D
- Katjes' Magic Candy Factory teams with Sur 3D to launch software for making 3D printed gummies
- Control your DLP 3D printer with just a Raspberri Pi through new nanoDLP software
- Dutch 3D printing startup Printr introduces Katana, a free 3D slicing app
- Manchester University team helps dinosaur fans 3D print their own mini T-Rex
- Onshape CAD software launches commercial release and app store, adds Materialise and Pinshape apps
- 3D models of Tom Hanks reconstructed from online images thanks to new 3D facial imaging tool
- ReallyMake seeks to connect 3D printer buyers and sellers through 3D pottery app
- 'Really Make' your own 3D printed ceramic artwork with ReallyMake Pottery App