Aug 2, 2016 | By Benedict

Siemens has acquired a majority (85%) stake in Materials Solutions, a UK-based selective laser melting (SLM) specialist and leader in additive manufacturing processing and production. The remaining 15% will be held by company founder Carl Brancher.

One of Siemens' 3D printed burner components

As part of its growing interest in advanced manufacturing technologies, Siemens has invested in SLM specialist Materials Solutions, founded in 2006 and based in Worcester, UK. The British company is known for its turbomachinery parts, especially those used in high temperature applications for gas turbines, and has produced components for customers in aerospace, power generation, and motor sports. Siemens Venture Capital had held a minority (14%) stake in the company, which lists more than 20 skilled engineers amongst its staff, since August 2015.

“With the acquisition of Materials Solutions, we are able to secure world-leading expertise in materials and AM process development with focus on high-temperature super alloys,” said Willi Meixner, CEO of Siemens Power and Gas Division. “The company's strength is to turn models into high quality components in record time. Clearly Materials Solutions fits perfectly within our vision for growth and application of advanced technologies within our Power & Gas portfolio.”

Siemens has been investing in additive manufacturing technology frequently in recent years, and had used 3D printing internally for both the rapid prototyping of various items and for the rapid manufacturing of small fuel mixers used in heavy-duty gas turbines. A Siemens location in Finspång, Sweden, has been using additive manufacturing technology since 2009, and opened a dedicated metal 3D printing facility in February 2016—Sweden’s first. The company’s first 3D printed burner component was, however, made at a power plant in Brno, Czech Republic. Siemens’ investment in Materials Solutions demonstrates its commitment to increasing its additive manufacturing footprint across Europe.

Siemens' metal 3D printing facility in Sweden

“We are very proud to become a part of Siemens,” said Carl Brancher, CEO of Materials Solutions. “I am sure our know-how and experience will make a significant contribution to Siemens' Additive Manufacturing strategy. Materials Solutions is developing the applications know-how and a supply chain for the world's most advanced engineering companies—delivering processes and precision parts from 3D CAD models, using software, lasers and metal powders.”

Siemens has been taking part in a number of 3D printing activities as of late, having recently partnered with additive manufacturing newcomer HP to develop software for the printing company’s new Jet Fusion 3D printer. Siemens has also worked with Local Motors to build a roadworthy 3D printed car, and even produced prototypes for an unusual 3D printing spider robot, which could someday be deployed in large quantities to 3D print large objects.

A 3D printing spider robot developed by Siemens

 

 

Posted in 3D Printer Company

 

 

Maybe you also like:


   






Leave a comment:

Your Name:

 


Subscribe us to

3ders.org Feeds 3ders.org twitter 3ders.org facebook   

About 3Ders.org

3Ders.org provides the latest news about 3D printing technology and 3D printers. We are now six years old and have around 1.5 million unique visitors per month.

News Archive