It is not difficult to make a panorama without using expensive equipment. Here is a low-cost motorised modified Manfrotto tripod using custom 3D printed parts and electronics which is designed for panoramic photography.
"It takes less than a minute to shoot a single panorama and the precise alignment of the lens saves masses of time in post-processing." writes the designer Ilya Titov.
The key parts include Nema 17 motor, Arduino nano, H bridge, Connectors, 2 printed gears, 1 printed quick release lens clamp and 1 printed motor support.
The camera mount is designed to fit the quick release plate slot of the tripod and the spacing is tuned to match the nodal point of the lens. This design is completely reversible. So you can take everything off and have your panoramic head in its original condition again. The parts are attached with cable ties and hot glue which comes off with a bit of force.
"The 3D printed parts are sturdy, I can lift the whole thing by grabbing the camera and it feels very rigid. I've carried this with me all day couple of times and its still in one piece." explains Titov.
The design is for Samyang 8mm, but you can adjust the size for all lens. If you like to print them for yourself, you can get the source files on Thingiverse. See it in action below:
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Making custom mesh screens easily with Slic3r & 3D printer
- A fully 3D printable Pip-Boy 3000
- Danish company says its software will stop you from 3D-printing guns
- Get what's inside Kinder Surprise Eggs using scanning and 3D printing
- Eye-catching 3D-Printed fashion jacket on Royal Ascot Ladies' Day 2013
- Imperia GP: a legendary Belgian marque is back, thanks to 3D printing
- 3D Printed Tardis Prime Transformer Toy
- How to 3D print your brain
- Useful garden accessories printed by 3D printer
- 3D printed vacuum powered turbine tool spins at 60,000 rpm
- 3D printing helps save duck Buttercup's life
- Building custom game controllers for the disabled
- RAPIRO: the cutest 3D printed Raspberry Pi robot on Kickstarter
- 3D printed custom windsurf & kite SmartBoards on Kickstarter