Professional 3D scanners are really expensive. How to scan the object for 3D printing in a cheaper way? Moedls, Mobile 3d Laser Scanner, is an app which runs on a smartphone and can do high level 3D scanning.
The iOS or Android app uses a consumer-quality laser, rotating platform and a custom enclosure to capture objects in digital form. Inventor John Fehr said the project was designed for capturing his daughter's art sculptures. After trying many different component options, he was able to lower the cost to $300.
In the video below you can see the sculpture being scanned with Moedls using an iPhone 3GS. When the laser light lights up a thin slice of the object, the camera can take photos of that part of object. So when the platform turns the camera can take more photos. This is still an early stage of the app, but we could already see what it is capable for.
This project was one of ten semi-finalists to Engadget's "Insert Coin" competition, which showcases inventors' do-it-yourself projects and eventually helps them get funding to bring their products to the market.
This Moedls app is still awaiting for approval for listing in the Apple store, after that it will be launched on kickstarter. Stay tuned!
Posted in 3D Scanning
Maybe you also like:
- Low-cost full colour desktop 3D scanner on Kickstarter
- Startup Matterport's low-cost 3D scanner raises nearly $4M
- Lynx A: world's first point-and-shoot 3D camera for high quality 3D models
- Floored raises $1 million to develop 3D modeling software for real estate
- First "scan to print" 3D printing shop in France
- First open source D3D scanner from 3D Creations
- PhoneScope 3D: add a high-res 3D scanner to your iPhone
- 3D scan of Newton's Death Mask
- Track and translate the motion of swimming fish into 3D printed sculpture
- Turn Kinect into portable and wireless depth camera
- Historians discover secret of famous painting using 3D scanners
- Help the robots with your Kinect at home
Sam wrote at 11/3/2016 7:23:55 AM:
anyway to still get the software?
William helm wrote at 1/15/2015 8:45:37 AM:
Android avail yet
Anja wrote at 2/26/2013 8:40:36 AM:
For Android is under development.
SD42 wrote at 2/26/2013 2:28:18 AM:
So is it iOS only or android as well?
Pwarrick wrote at 2/25/2013 6:22:22 PM:
This is really cool