How to scan the object for 3D printing in a cheaper way? Moedls, short for Mobile 3D Laser Scanner, is an app which runs on a smartphone and can do high level 3D scanning.
Together with a rotating platform and line laser, you will be able to scan an object and convert it into a point cloud and/or 3D model. Inventor John Fehr said the project was started for capturing his daughter's art sculptures. But now he hopes to make mobile 3D scanning available for everyone.
Moedls is currently live on Kickstarter for crowdfunding the production of Moedls laser scanners. Fehr has specially designed a rotating platform, a vinyl turntable for smooth spinning. It has guide markers for aligning the camera and laser, and a built-in easy and accurate angle measurement.
And each laser comes in a custom enclosure with a 2.1mm power plug as well as an external 2-AA battery power supply with on/off switch.
There are different reward levels on Kickstarter. For example, if you pledge $299 you will receive an "Early Backer Advanced Scanner", including Moedls Platform with Moedls Phone Holder, Red and Green Lasers, and three Moedls suction cup mounts, plus the Zombie Shooter Cup.
The dual laser option makes it possible to remove most dark spots that the single laser version misses due to obstructing object features.
The phone holder could grip your phone tightly so it stays aligned with the platform. The suction cup tripod mount has specially designed arms for easily adjusting the laser and device.
The differences between the reward levels is the number, color and quality of the lasers, so if you pledge $449 you can get Pro Red and Green Lasers instead.
Check Fehr's kickstarter video below:
Posted in 3D Printing Scanning
Maybe you also like:
- 3D body scanning offshore workers to boost safety
- Kinect Fusion to help doctors visualize 3D brain scans
- MakerBot unveils Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner prototype at SXSW
- Matterport to launch 3D camera, raises $5.6 Million funding
- Microsoft shows Off three affordable 3D scanning projects
- 3D Scan with VirtuCube and David Laserscanner 3.7
- Moedls app turns your smartphone into a 3D Scanner
- Low-cost full colour desktop 3D scanner on Kickstarter
- Startup Matterport's low-cost 3D scanner raises nearly $4M
- Lynx A: world's first point-and-shoot 3D camera for high quality 3D models
- Floored raises $1 million to develop 3D modeling software for real estate
- First "scan to print" 3D printing shop in France