Startup AIO Robotics is developing a new and innovative All-In-One 3D copy machine.
AIO Robotics is a high-tech startup founded by Kai Chang and Jens Windau, both Ph.D. students in computer science.
This All-In-One 3D copy machine is a 3D printer with an integrated 3D scanner, and the idea is to have an all-in-one 3D printer that is capable of 3D scanning, 3D printing, 3D copying, and 3D faxing.
The machine "Zeus" has a 7-inch color touchscreen with an on-board computer (ARM based) so you don't need to connect it to a desktop computer.
A 12-inch(300mm) turnable is used for both printing and scanning. Up to now it prints at 100 micron resolution with a single extruder but the team said multiple extruder(2+) will be provided as upgrade option and it will be possible to print with higher precision.
According to AIO, "All linear components are made by CNC-machined aluminum (xyz-carrier, turntable) to ensure super rigid structure without any deforming and heat soaking. In addition, we also created an auto-bed leveling feature by integrating a Z-probe mechanism onto the extruder. This way, users don't need to calibrate the bed height at all. We will include a full API-package for developers to fully control all sensor and motors."
The on-board computer handles 3D scanning data and uploads the data to the cloud for final 3D reconstruction. While being asked why not do the processing locally, AIO said using the cloud is cheaper and it has a cloud boost speed. "The machine will still work for scanning, printing, and copying even without internet, but the processing for scanning/copying will be standard speed." said AIO. To achieve the same processing speed without cloud, they will offer a more expensive option with an extra hardware that achieves similar cloud boost speed.
Images: AIO Robotics
As to the open source, AIO explained they will provide an open source package that makes all sensors and motors accessible. They will also provide all the necessary hardware mount hole drawings, so people can modify the machine.
The price is not available yet. "We have not finalized the pricing yet but it will be significantly cheaper than the Makerbot Replicator + Digitizer."
On September 4th, AIO Robotics will launch this world's first ALL-IN-ONE 3D copy machine on Kickstarter. Stay tuned!
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- The world's first 3D printed race car reaches 140 km/h
- 8 functional 3D printable mason jar lids
- 3D print yourself a dungeon crawl game
- New 3-way extruder and color blending nozzle developed for multi-colour/material 3D printing
- File2Part introducing unique Gutenberg 3D full color 3D printer
- Grand opening of first 3D print & printer store in Switzerland
- MakerPlane working on open source aircraft build plans for 3D printing
- Harvard 3D printed robots camouflage themselves
- 3D printing: The coolest way to visualize sound
- New system auto-detects & corrects structure problem of your model for 3D Printing
- The Wiki Weapon Project crowdfunding to develop open source 3D printable plastic firearm
- U.S. Army deploying mobile labs packed with 3D printers to Afghanistan
MICHAEL BENJAMIN wrote at 8/27/2013 8:24:01 AM:
CAN I REPLICATE MY LOVED ONES BEFORE THEY PASS & TURN THEM TO A IMMORTAL FAMILY MEMBER SO U NEVER MISS THEM LIKE SOLDERS BEFORE DEPLOYMENT
sas wrote at 8/22/2013 9:52:24 AM:
I wonder how well it's going to perform. like most dual use products... it tends not to perform either of them satisfactory.... looks beautiful though!