Here is another video from Barnacules Nerdgasm, software developer at Microsoft by day and YouTube producer by night. This time Nerdgasm wants to try something he has never done before: 3D printing a with sliding top in wood using Robo 3D printer and wood filament.
- 70c bed
- 210c hot end
- 0.2mm layer height
- 100% infill
After print, Nerdgasm used sandpaper to remove blob and lip at base. "It looks like wood, smells like wood, feels like wood but does not taste like wood!" says Nerdgasm.
The box can be used to store memory card or pills, etc. The great thing about 3D printing is you can make any size and shape of object to suit your needs. "The results are amazing and it even looks like it was carved out of plywood. I am going to attempt to stain it when I have some time since the wood does appear to be porous just like real wood and seem to absorb moisture. I'm really impressed with this material and I'm looking forward to using it in many future prints." writes Nerdgasm.
Posted in 3D Printing Materials
Maybe you also like:
- MadeSolid's new PET+: a strong and flexible filament for 3D printers
- Self-repairing running shoes made from 3D-printed protocells
- Formlabs announces white resin for the Form 1 3D printer
- Matt Stultz: advanced materials for 3D printing (video)
- Low-cost titanium powders used in 3D printing for the first time
- 3D printing materials market to reach $408.5 million by 2018
- Stratasys booth tour: new tough Nylon 12 announced at Euromold 2013
- Is waste peel the future material for green 3D printing?
- Produce your own filament for 3D printer with FilaFab
Barnacules wrote at 1/18/2014 1:26:24 AM:
Yeah 0.35mm is too small. The 0.4mm worked perfectly for me printing several boxes but when I tried to print on my Ultimaker I also had some jams.
regis wrote at 1/6/2014 11:36:49 AM:
Humm, tried to print the same box (actually a little bigger) with a JHead 0.35 mm, same temperatures and speeds and it keeps failing during the first layer. The Hotend jams … Maybe 0.35 is too small.
pK wrote at 1/5/2014 5:12:03 AM:
Does it burn like wood? Light it with a match!
Barnacules wrote at 1/5/2014 12:53:53 AM:
This is the best video on the whole internet! I'm Barnacules and I approve this message :P
J wrote at 1/4/2014 3:00:47 PM:
I got wood!!!