April 29, 2012
At TEDxPrague2010 and TEDxVienna2010 conference Josef Prusa, designer of the Prusa Mendel, gave every visitor a 3D printed whistles as souvenir for showing off what a RepRap 3D printer can print. That was bit tough job that he needed to print 500 whistles while each whistle roughly took 30 minutes.
Two years later, the RepRaps have been improved and he has learned some more coding. He can now print each whistle under 8 minutes. Josef Prusa got a perfect chance to give away his 3D printed whistles souvenir at the INFOTRENDY conference in Bratislava for a smaller audience - 150 visitors. He received a full list of the attendees one week before and he managed to print out them all one day before the conference, this time even with the initials of each attendee printed. "Everyone was happy to get custom made gift and it was much easier to show them the versatility of 3D printing!"
(photo credit: Josef Prusa)
Meanwhile Josef Prusa wrote the WhistleGen code and uploaded it on GitHub. He posted a sample chapter of his "Getting Started with RepRap" book as a souvenir too.
"Watching the eureka moment on people faces when they realize how simple 3D printing can be is fun. Unfortunately, many in our society are somehow preprogramed to immediately dismiss the idea and mark it as Sci-Fi invention, so it's up to us to show them. I lecture about RepRap a few times a month and if I didn't take my printer with me, I would be expelled as a charlatan."
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- 3D printed hat Daisy wins Hats Off to 3D Printing Design Challenge
- Arkitypo project - 3D printed alphabet shows typographic history
- 3D printed ExoHand - a solution for future human-machine cooperation
- 3D printed Hop Pod for life size Iron Man suit
- 3D printing a special bracelet for Mother's Day
- Beautiful 3D printed air turbine lamp by Margot Krasojevic
- Barobo launches modular robot for a very reasonable $270
- 3D-Printing custom labware for chemical synthesis and analysis
- Young student builds hexapod robot with Dimension 3D Printer
- 3D printed metal - twin rail Mobius pendant with ball-bearings
- Designer lamps from 3D printers
- Personalised 3D printed Scrappies is now on Indiegogo
- Custom your own 3D printed iPhone case with Kees
- Precise offers a scaled likeness 3D model of the individual in Dubai