May 31, 2012
Ultimaker released UltiController in April, a control panel with a single button interface to ensure real-time control over the 3D printing process.
What is the story behind the UltiController? Bernhard Kubicek, designer of UltiController published his write-up describing the design process of the UltiController.
"Why hardware hackers should investigate design, or, the tale of the UltiPanel." is more than just a man telling a story how an idea is converted from a weekend-hacking-project into a product. Kubicek mentioned in many places what he has learned from all the people and what has been improved during the whole process.
You may like or not like all his points, but you would agree learning by doing things develops our maturity - Kubicek has gained experience by listening to the voice of people, analyzing his failures and keeping improving the products. Maybe, dear reader, this document could also give you some insight into what's really going on in a product developing process.
The document is available here: http://kariert.org/design/hackersdesign.pdf
"It is my current believe that industrial design saved my panel. And it would have saved me a lot of trouble, if I understood some design concepts at an earlier stage. Personally, I think that a general knowledge of design should be part of each hardware hackers portfolio.
Not only to to create better objects, but also to being able to speak with a dedicated industrial designer at eye level, and to understand their remarks. On the other hand, also industrial designers can deliver better results if their knowledge about the technical function
and options is increased. Both sides need to communicate, also outside of a product cycle." - Bernhard Kubicek
Thanks Florian for the tips.
Posted in 3D Printing Technology
Maybe you also like:
- Progress on 3D Printed circuit board
- More progress with multicolored printing
- A nice video on the "3D printing today and tomorrow" made by Chris Barnett
- Fly 3D printers to Mars and print out spacecraft
- Build a heated build chamber for Rapman 3D printer
- 3D printing robot creates Endless Chairs from melted fridges (Video)
- Time Magazine calls Makerbot CEO a game changer (video)
- ABN AMRO sees big future in 3D printing
- A second generation 3D concrete printing is under development
- Using 3D Printing to create small business
- 3D Systems CEO discusses 3D printing technology on CNBC
- Adrian Bowyer's new progress in multi-color 3D printing
- Founder of Reprap & GroAction discusses the future of 3D printing
- 3D printing goes the same way as digital image printing
- Dutch designer 3D prints Endless Chairs from melted fridges
- Knowledge sharing and not sharing - creative spaces open and 3D printing lab shuts down
- Converting your existing CNC machine to a 3D printer
- Stratasys adds soluble support material for Polycarbonate