If you're a maker who designs and builds your own CNC mill or 3D printer, you may find this new project interesting: an open source universal linear rail system.
This system is designed to be used in conjunction with various sizes of readily available T-Slot aluminum extrusions, it is a derivative of Maker slide, a successful project of open source linear bearing system for home built CNC equipment.
Mark and Trish Carew of Phlatboyz.com notes that precise heavy and light duty rail systems are one of the highest cost of creating any machine that requires linear motion. Therefore they are proposing the Open Rail system to be an affordable option to attach to the slot on any of the regular systems. It is designed to be customizable to each machine with very easy installation.
"The Open Rail system will be made of 6061-T5 Aluminum with Black Hard Coat Anodized, Type III, which means we will have the ability to use both metal v wheels for heavy duty applications and plastic v wheels for quiet light duty applications. This, along with Open Rail's unique ability to adapt to many different aluminum extrusions configurations makes it the most versatile linear rail system available today. This version of Open Rail is compatible with all Misumi's 5 series extrusions. Future plans include expanding the Open Rail line to include more of the Misumi's larger series as well as other popular T-Slot extrusions such as 80/20."
We believe such a rail system would definitely benefit many of tinkerers and innovators out there. For more details about the Open Rail project, please check out the Open Rail Kickstarter page here.
Posted in 3D Printing Accessories
Maybe you also like:
- Open source universal 3D printer extruder on Kickstarter
- Small drive gear for geared stepper motors on Indiegogo
- Interface Board connects USB to your 3D printer
- 3D printed milk jug tells if you have milk at home
- 3D printed smart bandage that stimulates and directs blood vessel growth
- Disney World hosts "Carbon-Freeze Me" Experience using 3D printing technology
- Resin-based 3D printer B9Creator for high-quality prints currently on Kickstarter
- US government has high expectation from 3D Printing
- Qumarion 3D modeling mannequin offers real-time 3D manipulation
- How to design and 3D-print your own Tilt-Shift Lens Adapter
- LeapFrog launches 3D printers and new website
- A visit to Mixshop: the new MixG1 3D printer
- Stratasys Announced its newest Mojo 3D Printer
- 3D Printer allows ANYONE to make their ideas into real functional objects
- Inventables is now taking pre-orders for Hadron ORD Bots
- 3D printed 4D player kit and programmable kalimba
- Iris van Herpen and 3D printing
dennis wrote at 5/16/2015 9:16:21 AM:
I guess they don't to sell the open rail, cannot find where to buy either. the stuff really looks sharp but if I can't buy it i'll go another rout dennis
Howard Bergstrom wrote at 4/17/2014 8:48:34 PM:
I have two of the linear rail 58" long and is so simple. Is there a source to buy it. Thank you
firstname.lastname@example.org wrote at 4/13/2014 4:34:14 PM:
im looking all over for open rail where can i buy it thank you steve