May 11, 2012
A high resolution 3D printer named B9Creator from Michael Joyce is now on Kickstarter. This B9Creator is another resin-based 3D printer using DLP projector to make quick solid cure layer by layer. On Kickstarter B9Creator kits are available for US$2,375(US) and US$2,675(International) for a complete kit, including everything required to assemble a fully functional machine and 1 kg of resin.
Unlike the Veloso 3D printer project, all original hardware (CAD) files and software (source code) will be released under an open source license once Michael Joyce ship out all printers for kickstarter supporters.
How much will the resin cost? Michael Joyce gave the example of an Eiffel Tower model. It weighs 12 grams, and resin costs 10 cents/gram, so totally material cost is only $1.20.
What kind of warranty do I get for pledging this project?
"We warrant the physical machine to include the structure, motors and control electronics for a period of 1 year. We do not warrant the projector, projector bulb, or vat release coating. The projector bulb and vat release coating are consumable items which will wear out over time. We do not warrant the machine's (or user's) ability to print a perfect part every time."
Here are specifications of B9Creator:
- Layer thickness: 100 microns (0.004")
- Speed: 12~20mm per hour
- Resolutions in the x/y plane (horizontal) of 50 to 100 microns are possible by adjustment of the projector's position and focus.
- Resolutions in the z (vertical) build axis from 100 to less than 10 microns are possible via software selection.
- At the 100 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 102.4 mm (4.03″) x 76.8 mm (3.02″) x 203.2 mm (8.0″).
- At the 50 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 51.2 mm (2.02″) x 38.4 mm (1.52″) x 203.2 mm (8.0″).
- Software: Basic, compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux
- Weight: ~30lbs (13.5 kg)
- Overall size(HxWxD): 31″ (79 cm) x 18.5″ (47 cm) x 12″ (30.5 cm)
- Lead time: 6-8 weeks
Check out the video below a 50 mm tall 3D object printed at 100 micron resolution with minimal support structure on B9Creater.
Thanks Craig Turley for the tip!
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- World's first 3D chocolate printer now up for pre-order
- MiiCraft - A pico projector based home built DLP 3D printer
- High resolution DIY 3D printer on Indiegogo
- Basic and complete Resin-based 3D Printer kit ready for pre-order
- Pocket printer under development
- Introducing Cartesio CNC/3D printer kit
- ORD Bot 3D printers and MakerSlide available for pre-order
- Affordable Blueprinter SHS 3D printer for desktop sintering
- Building an extra large Ultimaker 3D printer
- Breakthrough: High-speed 3D printer with nanoscale precision
- New 3D-ONE 3D printer from Robot Factory
- RouterStrap 3D printer on the CNC Machine
- How low can a Prusa Mendel 3D printer cost go
- Launch party for KamerMaker - First large-scale movable pavilion 3D-print rooms
- The Man Who Prints Houses - Documentary about Enrico Dini and his heart and soul in 3D printing buildings