If you carry your iPhone when you go hiking, skiing or go for a mountain bike adventure, you certainly want to keep your phone safe from a good protection.
There are so many nice iPhone cases available in the market, but not many of them are suitable for outdoor. But iconic.am on Kickstarter is offering a Waterproof case that mounts your iPhone anywhere. "You can use it casually for hikes, the beach, and timelapse video, or take it skiing, boarding, and mountain biking."
What would a perfect outdoor case be? It should be rugged, waterproof and compact. The iconic.am features an aluminum locking latch and over-sized SAE Aerospace Standard seals and is designed to be waterproof to IPX8 standards. It allows access to all the buttons and the touchscreen. It is lightweight, mountable, watertight and shockproof. A wide angle lens and quick wireless app are also added to turn the camera on/off to capture video without seeing the screen.
Images credit: iconic.am
iconic.am is raising funds for injection molding tooling to manufacture the production run of the case and base mount. However each new mount could cost around ten thousand dollars in tooling according to the team.
Luckily the team found Shapeways. They still need to build injection molding tooling for the case, but they can use Shapeways' 3D printing service to make the rest of parts. The team changed the design so the parts can be printed on a 3D printer. And these Shapeways parts are light but strong, even though they have a rougher finish than injection molded parts, but 3D printing lowered the cost and gave them more possibilities for their creativity.
In addition, the team also want to get people involved with design process. They partner with Shapeways to allow people to make their own mounts through their Shapeways store (The site is down at the moment because of Sandy). Any new idea will be designed in CAD and 3D printed in Shapeways.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Keep your earbuds in your ears with 3D printed button
- 3D printed protein model gives hands-on help for learning the secrets of molecules
- Designer Janne Kyttanen launched 3D printed Macedonia case for iPad
- Artist 3D printing museum replica on a Makerbot Replicator
- OpenStructures WaterBoiler Filter by Unfold
- Rebuilding 74-year-old Morris Eight badge with 3D printing
- One Just One: Unique 3D Printed jewellery on Kickstarter
- 3D printing helps Louisville to crowd-source city planning of 2040
- Where to order 3D-printed iPhone 5 cases?
- Replacing antique violin parts using 3D printing
- Founder of Bespoke Innovations and his 3D printed guitar
- Introducing Digital Natives – Glitched objects 3D printed in colour resin
- UVA students build and test 3D printed unmanned aircraft
- Solar Pocket Factory: DIY mini solar panels in the backyard
- Michiel Cornelissen talks about the magic of 3D printing
- How to make a 3D printed flashlight
- US Army researchers use 3D printers for rapid prototypes
- Make your own 3D printed headphone
- Win a 3D printed Borderlands 2 Claptrap
- Track and translate the motion of swimming fish into 3D printed sculpture