3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) announced today Cubify Capture, a new portal service that allows users to upload photos and videos from their digital, smartphone or tablet camera to its Cubify.com destination and automatically transform the images into 3D models.
The company plans to expand the services of its Cubify Capture portal to include a full suite of thematic scan-to-print web and mobile apps. Users can capture on the go and upload pictures or video to Cubify.com where a 3D model is generated automatically and saved in the user's Cubify account. These 3D models can be used for further modeling, customizing or fusing with other elements and readied for printing at home or through Cubify cloud printing, in monochrome, durable plastic or full color.
How does it work?
To get started, you will need a digital camera (your mobile phone camera will work) and an object you want to capture as a 3D model. Here is the process:
- Capture 30-40 images (or 20-60 second video) as you walk around of your object.
- Log onto Cubify.com --> Menu "Create" --> "Cubify Capture Beta"
- Upload your images or video
- Cubify Capture's cloud processing engine will then use your photos to digitally reconstruct the object in 3D. (Takes 30mins to a few hours depending on your images).
- When the processing is complete, Cubify Capture will send you an email with a link.
- You can then view the model in 3D, edit the model with an on-screen "crop" tool.
- Finally, you can download your Cubify Capture model in .STL or obj+texture files for use in other 3D modelling applications.
(Images credit: Cubify)
Posted in 3D Software
Maybe you also like:
- Bend, Not Break: Life story of Ping Fu, Geomagic CEO
- Meet Slic3r developer Alessandro Ranellucci (video)
- 3D print a chair, piece by piece
- Get real-time analysis of your 3D model: Willit 3D Print
- Innovative Doodle3D empowers anyone to create personal 3D prints
- New 3D Repo Android app for viewing, annotating 3D models
- Sculpteo adds background option to 3DPCase app