Tristram Budel wants to make very accurate 3d prints. When searching on the internet, Budel found most of the existing FDM 3D printers work on roughly the same principles and produce similar results. On the contrary, Stereolithography (SLA) type of 3D printers can produce more precise 3D objects and have not been made fully accessible to the community.
Budel decided to fabricate a high resolution DLP 3D printer himself. Budel's 3D printer uses a DLP projector to expose each layer and cure the print one layer at a time.
The whole design is pretty compact. The projector is put at a 90 deg angle so he could use a single surface mirror to project a crisp image on to the build surface. Three 2mm thick aluminum plates are mounted on the back bone to support the beamer, mirror setup, and the build tray. The printer is then covered with a box to keep out any light and dust.
After weeks of building, measuring, adjusting, building, adjusting and measuring, it is time to test the printer. Each 0.1 mm thick layer needs about 4 seconds to cure resulting in a build speed of 50mm per hour, which is almost twice as fast as any other. That is awesome.
This printer is still a prototype, Budel plans to finish building a more advanced version (hopefully) by the end of 2013.
You can check out a whole building process in details here on instructables.
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- Status and Sapiens 3D printer made in Spain
- Opencube to launch desktop 3D printer Japanese model
- LEGObot 3D printer made almost completely out of Legos
- 'RepRap Morgan' by Quentin Harley wins $20,000 Gada prize
- Maplin UK to sell its first 3D printer for £700
- RepRap Morgan SCARA Arm 3D printer kit available for pre-order
- Pirate3D printer raises $1.4m on Kickstarter, exceeding goal by 14X
- EZ 3D Printer introducing new DLP based DIY kit
- New Type A Machines Series 1 3D Printer
- Optomec launches new 3D printer for metal additive manufacturing
- Introducing experimental Delta printer Simpson
- Design plans of Kikai 3D printer available for free download
- China develops world's largest laser 3D printer
- Amazon launches new 3D Printers & Supplies section