Social etiquette are very important for our survival in the society. You need to pay attention to a lot of details, and one of them is "maintaining a proper and decent distance" when you are in a party.
Instructables user Aleksei Sebastiani has recently made a 3D-printed bowtie that flashes LEDs when people stand too close for comfort. "(It is) A simple and elegant way to help keep your personal space bubble from being invaded by close talkers and overly huggie people." says Sebastiani.
He named it "Personal Space Defender". If someone gets within 19" of it, the Defender's red lights flash for a few seconds. If they stay there, the lights keep flashing. You can also change the distance and flashing rates to suite your needs.
The bow was printed on a Solidoodle 2 3D printer.
"I had this idea and concept for more than year. One day, when trolling through Thingiverse, I saw some dude's bowtie. BAMM! 'Now I know how I can incorporate these electronic parts into something that fits with societal convention.' I don't like wires or anything else that shout,'Hey, look, I've got electronics sewn into my jacket!'" Sebastiani told Solidoodle.
Unfortunately, Sebastiani doesn't have many occasions to wear such a bow-tie. But how do you react when you see someone wearing such a Personal Space Defender in a party? "I think people's reactions would be more curious than threatened by this. This project was much more of a proof of concept than anything else. Hopefully, it'll inspire someone to make a derivative that's better and more functional." says Sebastiani.
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Accord: 3D printed personalized earbuds
- Bone inspired 3D printed pumps by London designer Chaemin Hong
- Comic-Con 3D Printing Experience to feature Predator Alien holding fan's severed head
- Get a 3D print of your unborn baby's face
- Easton LaChappelle's TED Talk - 3D printed, brain-powered robo-arm
- Protect your USB flash drive with 3D printed Ultra Supple Bus
- Lexus Korea creates interactive experiences with help of 3D printing
- Editable and 3D-printable organization kit designed for your project
- Genuine 3D puzzle Marusenko Sphere made with 3D printer
- Make a custom 3D printed cookie cutter in a minute
djh wrote at 8/21/2013 3:57:43 PM:
Bowties are cool.