Wanna know what your 3D models look like for real before printing? You might want to have a look at Augment, it is a program which uses augmented reality technology to allow users to visualize 3D models on your Android, iPad and iPhone.
With Augment you can also preview how furniture will look at your home, test paintings on your walls before you purchase it.
This French start up is founded by programmer Jean-Francois Chianetta and Citizensup founder Mickael Jordan along with researcher Cyril Champier who has a background in cognitive sciences.
(images credit: Augment)
Augment works with STL, Collada, OBJ, 3DS and Blend files. For example, users can go to Thingiverse site, click a .stl file - On your iOS or Android device the 3D model can be displayed in real size.
Augment has currently 20,000 active users. It is generating revenue from its paid version that furniture companies, 3D developers could add an Augmented Reality view of their products on website or mobile app.
Augment is available on the Android Market or on iTunes for free. Download the app, print the marker on a normal sheet of paper and place at where you want to see the 3D model - you can now preview 3D models before building the physical prototype.
Posted in 3D Software
Maybe you also like:
- Handy Potter: create 3D objects with your hands and Kinect
- File2Part 3D Software fixes your 3D model with one click
- New system auto-detects & corrects structure problem of your model for 3D Printing
- New 3D modeling saves Chrysler engine and transmission production costs
- Software developed at Harvard turns video game characters into 3D printable models
- NASA's 3D app lets you experience robotic space travel
- Able Software announces new reseller in France
- 3D Model-to-Print converts 3D architectural designs into printable 3D models
- OmNomNom Creator converts 2D images to 3D for 3D printing
- Qumarion 3D modeling mannequin offers real-time 3D manipulation
- PotteryPrint designing app aims to introduce kids to 3D printing
- Create and print 3D models from Adroid interface
- Slic3r new version 0.7.0 is released
- Free 3DBuzz Blender tutorials for download
- Testing ReconstructMe - how to use Kinect to capture 3D models in real-time
- Learning how to use software for Sumpod 3D printer with Mike's tutorials