How to turn a collection of 2D images into a 3D model? One process is called "multiview stereo reconstruction" which has been using famous device "the Stanford spherical gantry" to take photos of an object from points on a spherical shell surrounding to build 3D model.
However often even with such nice data, the multiview stereo problem is still ill-posed. mikolalysenko wanted to reconstruct volumetric graphics from 8-bit sprites so he built a much simpler editor called space carving. "The underlying idea behind space carving is to reformulate the multiview stereo matching problem as a fairly simple geometry problem".
if we suppose that our object has some predetermined material properties (ie is Lambertian and non-transparent) and that all our lighting is fixed, then we can check consistency by just rendering our object from each view and comparing the images pixel-by-pixel.
It is not the most accurate multiview stereo algorithm, but it reformulates the multiview stereo matching problem simply by inputting colored pixels onto 6 2D grids.
To keep things simple, let us suppose that we view each sprite directly along the 6 cardinal directions (ie top, bottom, front, back, left, right) and that our cameras are all orthographic projections:
Putting this all together with the above sweep line method gives us a pretty simple way to edit sprites directly.
You can try the WebGL shape carving editor here.
mikolalysenko sent the 3D models off to Shapeways for 3D printing. The cool miniatures are about 5cm or 2in tall and now available at this Shapeways shop.
Posted in 3D Software
Maybe you also like:
- Try hacking MakerWare to support old Makerbots
- Computer program automatically improves structural strength of 3D printable objects
- Sculpteo's new app lets you create your own 3D printed iPhone case
- Visual versioning for 3D printable models on CubeHero
- Visualize your 3D models in real size with Augment
- Handy Potter: create 3D objects with your hands and Kinect
- File2Part 3D Software fixes your 3D model with one click
- New system auto-detects & corrects structure problem of your model for 3D Printing
- New 3D modeling saves Chrysler engine and transmission production costs
- Software developed at Harvard turns video game characters into 3D printable models
- NASA's 3D app lets you experience robotic space travel
- Able Software announces new reseller in France
- 3D Model-to-Print converts 3D architectural designs into printable 3D models
- OmNomNom Creator converts 2D images to 3D for 3D printing
- Qumarion 3D modeling mannequin offers real-time 3D manipulation
- PotteryPrint designing app aims to introduce kids to 3D printing
Luis wrote at 5/7/2015 9:52:59 PM:
liam wrote at 3/6/2014 9:30:25 PM:
thats the first time ive seen it and its awesome nice dude