3D printing company Shapeways officially launched its 3D Printing API earlier today, hoping to make it easy for developers to upload 3D models, sell to others, and 3D print with different materials.
According to Shapeways' Director of Product Brad Dickason, the next step of bringing the power of digital fabrication to the masses is to work with the developers. In 2012 alone, 8000 Shapeways shop owners earned nearly $500.000 in profits of which many were application developers.
This first release of API focuses on Shapeway's marketplace and manufacturing. In the last couple of months, during their private beta, Shapeways worked closely with several developers to test and refine the features. To pick a few, Mixee Me enables people to create miniatures that can be chosen from a clip art collection.
And TinkerCAD, a powerful web-based tool can help people with no CAD experience to print directly to Shapeways by clicking 'Order 3D Print' within the app.
New features will be added to the API continually. But how to get started? Here is a How To Guide which will take you through the steps necessary to create a working Shapeways App. You'll start by registering an account and an application. The next step is to authenticate using OAuth (Check the image below). Once authenticated, you can learn how to upload and sell products, get a price for any 3D geometry, check out and 3D print.
The future is bright, according to CEO Peter Weijmarhausen. He expects to see the first Shapeways millionaire some time next year.
Posted in 3D Printing Services
Maybe you also like:
- Trinckle 3D printing service and marketplace beta launch
- First 3d Printing Store in Colorado
- China's first 3D Printing Experience Pavilion opened in Beijing
- Leaders of the 3D printing revolution - Shapeways (video)
- 3D scanning and 3D printing let the blind "see" their unborn child
- Inside Materialise's Headquarters
- First Dutch 3D printing shop just opened in Haarlem (video)
- The Early Life of Draft Print 3D
- UC Irvine's RapidTech offers low-cost 3D printing service for businesses
- FabGate: 3D printing service marketplace
- Alphacam offers online 3D printing service