At EuroMold this year we have seen quite many "big" machines, Objet 1000, supersized machine from Concept Laser. Lübeck-based SLM Solutions unveiled another big machine: a new dimension, the SLM 500 HL selective laser melting machine which can be used in a even wider range of industries than Concept Laser.
The SLM 500 HL has a build chamber of 500 x 280 x 325 mm and a unique double beam technology. Each of the two fibre lasers (400 +1000W) operate on the powder bed by a 3D scanning unit. Two of these units are working at the same time what makes a total of 4 lasers in operation. Included in the SLM 500 HL is the shell-core-imaging process with two different laser beam profiles. These profiles may be used independently, but also parallel and simultaneously in the process. This will significantly increase productivity.
This method takes into account not only 2 lasers operating simultaneously and parallel ("Dual spot scanning"), but at the same time the lasers are melting several layers of powder in one melting process with a 1000W-Laser. Because of that the melting process gets a 10 times higher build rate compared to SLM Solutions' former additive metal systems.
To manage the weights of higher metal volume reliable and accurate, there has been developed a new changeable build chamber, which can be disconnected to an exchangeable remove the excess powder and the component clean and safe by. At the same time there is a clearly measurable reduction of non-operating periods in comparison with previous concepts.
Besides, the transport of metal powder is done by a continuous conveying system due to the increased volumes and weights. This automates the management of powder and eliminates the manual handling of loads with bottles and containers. The time consuming manual input of filling the system no longer applies.
The system uses Magic AutoFab software to process CAD/ STL-data files as a standard feature which is also used for slicing and support generation. In addition the software includes modules for monitoring, auditing and quality assessment for optimal quality control in production.
- Build Chamber in mm (x/y/z): 500 x 280 x 325
- Laser Power: 2x 400/1000 W, YLR-Faser-Laser
- Build Speed: 70 ccm/h
- Pract. Layer Thickness: 20 µm - 200 µm
- Track: 180 µm
- Operational Beam Focus: 100 µm -700 µm
- Scan Speed: 15 m/s
- Inert Gas Consumption in Operation: Ar/N2 , 3 l/min
- Inert Gas Consumption Venting: Ar/N2 , 2000 l @ 100 l/min.
- Compressed Air Requirement: ISO 8573-1, 18 l/min. @ 1,5 bar
- Dimensions in mm (B x H x T): 3000 x 2000 (2500) x 1100
- Weight: ca. 2000 kg
- E-Connection / Consumption: 400 Volt 3NPE, 32 A, 50/60 Hz, 8 KW/h
Find out more about the SLM 500 HL at SLM Solutions.
(Images credit: SLM Solutions)
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- Aluminatus TrinityOne 3D printer available for pre-order now
- 3D printing metal in an XXL format for the carmaker Daimler
- Multec introducing Multirap 3D printer series
- Fully assembled Ultimaker 3D printer launched
- Support your local school with the Printrbot jr. 3D printer
- 3ders.org at EuroMold (4) - The 3-D Bioplotter from envisionTEC
- 3D Systems' new ProJet 3D Printers offer larger high definition prints
- Rapcraft team introducing new PrusAL 3D printer
- Meet Metalbot: new all-metal RepRap compatible 3D printer
- German RepRap launches largest 3D printer PRotos X400
- Ultimaker vending wall
- Introducing miniFactory 3D printer from Finland