A largest network of digital fabrication laboratories, FabLabs, enabling the development of a variety of digital device prototypes using software and hi-tech equipment will be created in Russia in the next two years.
Sherry Lassiter, programs manager of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Center for Bits and Atoms MIT Media Lab), the representative of Fab Foundation, announced the plans at a seminar held at Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (MISiS).
A fablab is generally equipped with an array of digital fabrication tools for rapid prototyping, such as 3D printers, milling machines, laser cutter, vynil cutter machines, electronics workbench, computers and programming tools, supported by open source software. It gives everyone in the community from small children through to entrepreneurs, the capability to create and innovate smart devices for themselves, to build structures, arts and crafts.
There are more than a hundred such labs across the globe. In Russia, the first FabLab opened in April on the premises of MISIS University.
It is planned in the next two years more than 20 labs for personalized digital production will be set up in Moscow and its surroundings, and another over 100 across Russia.
Sherry Lassiter said that it is planned to create a fund, an analogue of the US FablabFund in Russia to implement the educational program for training, to provide consulting services and support concerning the opening of new laboratories. The Russian Ministry of Economic Development is expected to finance the equipping of the labs.
Source: venture news
Posted in Fablabs
Maybe you also like:
- Fab 8 and new fab lab at Massey bring digital fabrication to New Zealand
- Fayetteville Free Library launched 3D printing Fab Lab
- Fablab Nairobi strengthens Kenya's innovation system
- "Pimp My Ride" host to customize a Nissan Cube for 3D systems' cross country trip
- 3D Printing/AM China 2012 Conference
- Building an extra large Ultimaker 3D printer
- First retail 3D printing in postal service
- EMS announced 3D Tech Days 10 City Tour
- Create a full-color 3D relief sculpture from your photo
- Create 3d-printable jewelry and sculpture with Cell Cycle WebGL design app
- Breakthrough: High-speed 3D printer with nanoscale precision
- New 3D-ONE 3D printer from Robot Factory
- SoundCloud teamed with Shapeways to get soundwave 3D-printed
- Bathsheba's experimental 3D printed ceramic oil lamp
- RouterStrap 3D printer on the CNC Machine
- PotteryPrint designing app aims to introduce kids to 3D printing
- GE invests on hands-on labs for ordinary people
- How low can a Prusa Mendel 3D printer cost go
- Using 3D Printing to create small business
- StreetScooter and 3D printed dashboard
- Cubify prepares a 25 city trip across the US
- Affordable 3D printed time lapse dolly for fantastic photography
- Review of 9 recently released 3D printing materials(video)
- Incredibly low-cost line lasers for 3D scanning
- Build your own Kinect-like 3D camera