Kickstarter is a place full of exciting projects. The elegant PandaBot 3D printer was launched on Oct 4, 2012 and costs $800 for the basic model. PandaBot has a seamless design and all of the major machinery is encased in metal - the result of nine months of hard work. It has been made to be affordable and easy to use. It uses ABS plastic and has a layer thickness of 0.1mm, or 100-micrometers, same as the new Makerbot.
Over the past 9 months we've designed and built our prototype printer. Since it's designed as a manufactured product, construction techniques and materials were chosen to make it exceptionally stable, robust, and quiet. Fully encased in metal, the PandaBot is very rigid and quiet. Our design isn't as susceptible to vibration induced errors as other printers designed to be hand assembled. We've proven this by successfully printing on live national TV with no adjustments in less than 5 minutes from the back of a taxi.
Pandabot is hoping to secure $50,000 in support. The Kickstarter has pulled in over $35,000 with 12 days left to go. If you are interested in seeing the PandaBot 3D printer being brought to the masses, head on over to its Kickstarter page and support it.
A similar project on Kickstarter, Form 1 3D printer, topped more than $1-million in funding in 50 hours. The Form 1 printer uses Stereolithography (SL) technology which is typically expensive but the team managed to lower the cost. With more than 1,650 backers already, the FormLabs is pledged >$2.29 million on Kickstarter.
Formlab's funding period will be over in 4 days. We are looking forward to seeing these 3D printers in the wild but if you can't wait to get your hands on one, check their kickstarter campaign here how to be one of the owners. The first Form 1 printer is planned to be shipped in Feb, 2013.
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- FabClay: exploring important parameters of robotic 3D printing
- Craig Venter's Vision of 3D DNA printers
- LulzBot AO-100 3D printer certified by Free Software Foundation
- XEOS 3D printer concept
- Dutch department store sells 3D printers
- PandaBot 3D printer is Live on Kickstarter
- The LulzBot TK-0 3D Printer under development
- New UP! software v1.17 to be released in two days
- New Matrix 300+ 3D printer is 3 times faster
- Formlabs announces Form 1 "prosumer" 3D printer
- JP Morgen: New 3D printer from Formlabs could be a threat to low-end & high-end of the market
- Is Makerbot going closed source?
- 3D printer helping company to bring its products to market quicker