May 16, 2012
Earlier in February we reported the portable Tantillus 3D printer which was ready for beta testing. Named "Tantillus"(Latin for "so little, so small"), it has a fully self-printed case, and can print all of its own parts. Developed by inventor Brad (aka Sublime), this portable 3D printer is fully compact.
Brad is starting his crowd-funding campaign on Indiegogo and releasing a limited number of Tantillus units.
The Tantillus 3D printer has two versions: laser cut acrylic edition and printed versions, both have a building envelope of (x)100mm x (y)100mm x (z)100mm. Since it is designed to be portable so both version has a small size:
Assembled Laser cut version is 240mm x 240mm x 320mm
Assembled Printed version is 230mm x 230mm x 320mm
- The Laser cut acrylic edition of Tantillus uses the exact same axis parts and electronics as the fully printed version. The hardware requirements are less than that of the Printed version as the Laser cut case does not require any bolts to assemble. It measures 10mm wider and deeper than the printed version while standing the same height. It has additional cutouts for a 16 x 2 LCD, rotary encoder and barrel connector for the power. It has mounting holes for Arduino mega based electronics (RAMPS) as well as Sanguinololu.
Each unit weighs only 4kgs with power supply. According to Brad, the possible speed can be 300mm/s or more, and X/Y step resolution is 8 micron per step, Z step resolution is 0.4 micron per step.
If you pledge $850 on Indiegogo you will receive a complete kit including everything you need to build a Tantillus. See all the options you could have for funding this project.
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- Resin-based 3D printer B9Creator for high-quality prints currently on Kickstarter
- LeapFrog launches 3D printers and new website
- A visit to Mixshop: the new MixG1 3D printer
- Inventables is now taking pre-orders for Hadron ORD Bots
- Fully Assembled RapCraft 3D printer
- Another $300 desktop 3D printer kit
- Maxit 3D printer joins Human vs machine re-match tonight
- New Affordable Bukobot 3D printer with expandable framework
- The new Solidoodle G2 3D printer is launched - starting at $499
- iRapid - A new 3D printer built with "rack and pinion" concept
- Rapid Shape brings fastest 3D printer to the market
- Voxeljet introduces first continuous 3D printing machine
- New Maxit 3D printer will be launched soon
- World's first 3D chocolate printer now up for pre-order
- MiiCraft - A pico projector based home built DLP 3D printer
- Leapfrog introduces fully assembled plug-and-play 3D printers to mass market
- High resolution DIY 3D printer on Indiegogo
- Basic and complete Resin-based 3D Printer kit ready for pre-order