Ron Light from Kansas City has developed a cheap DLP 3D printer and is right now crowd funding on Kickstarter. His design uses a top down approach which requires more resin but the mechanics of the printer are simpler.
This resin-based 3D printer project is named as Sedgwick open source 3D DLP printer, same as other resin printers, it uses a standard DLP projector to cure the print one layer at a time. The build area is not very big, about 76.8mm x 102.4mm x 125mm (3in x 4in x 5in) but the print speed can be as fast as 5mm per minute or more.
On Kickstarter the Sedgwick open source 3D DLP printer kits are available for $495 with everything required except common tools and the projector, and you can also get your first 2 Liters of resin for free. Ron Light advises that an Acer X1261P 1024x768 DLP Projector can be used for this printer, and it will cost around $350 to $450.
"The goal of this project was to create a low cost, high resolution 3D printer." So this printer uses laser cut wooden frame to lower the cost, and according to Ron Light, the price of resin can be around $80 to $100 per liter if there is enough people support the project. As to the resolution, "Sedgwick was designed to only print at 100 microns (0.1mm) in the x-y."
This project will go open source but if you pledge $25 now you can get an early access to design documents and software. Check out the video below of the kickstarter project after the break.
Posted in 3D Printers
Maybe you also like:
- PP3DP announces New Desktop 3D Printer - UP! Mini
- New Objet30 Pro Desktop 3D Printer launched at RAPID
- Burritob0t: a 3D printer prints edible Mexican food
- Tantillus portable opensource 3D printer now on Indiegogo
- Resin-based 3D printer B9Creator for high-quality prints currently on Kickstarter
- LeapFrog launches 3D printers and new website
- A visit to Mixshop: the new MixG1 3D printer
- Inventables is now taking pre-orders for Hadron ORD Bots
- Fully Assembled RapCraft 3D printer
- Another $300 desktop 3D printer kit
- Maxit 3D printer joins Human vs machine re-match tonight
- New Affordable Bukobot 3D printer with expandable framework
- The new Solidoodle G2 3D printer is launched - starting at $499
- iRapid - A new 3D printer built with "rack and pinion" concept
- Rapid Shape brings fastest 3D printer to the market
- Voxeljet introduces first continuous 3D printing machine
- New Maxit 3D printer will be launched soon
- World's first 3D chocolate printer now up for pre-order
- MiiCraft - A pico projector based home built DLP 3D printer
- Leapfrog introduces fully assembled plug-and-play 3D printers to mass market
- High resolution DIY 3D printer on Indiegogo
- Basic and complete Resin-based 3D Printer kit ready for pre-order